• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Whats up with my rear end? Leaky hole?

jcnoble

NAXJA Forum User
I have a junkyard D44 from an xj. Just got it locked and loaded with 33 spline detriot and alloy axles. I put three quarts of gear oil in yesterday and today there is a puddle of stinky oil in my garage. It is being stored upside down and there is a small rubber plug in one of the tubes that it is leaking from. What is this? Vent? Something else?

3 quarts... That is an awful lot. Most diffs top off at about 1.5 quarts when installed in position.

The spec says 2.85 quarts for a Dana 44. Off the net of course. The folks at the 4x4 place said about that much also. I didnt know about the vent but makes sense i spose. Is it on both tubes? I cant see on the other side the brake line is in the way.

Thats it. i guess I should have payed attention which side was up when I put it on the jack stands. Now I have major stank in the garage. Time to throw it in the jeep. Anybody want a used Dana 35?

jeepnuts311 said:
moral of this story: "if you have a leaky hole in your rear end, keep it up in the air, so stinky fluid doesnt leak out of it overnight."

-Tim

I used to have this problem but I did not know what you just said till after the fact...hahaha I mean come on, did anyone else think something really immature when you read the title "Whats up with my rear end? Leaky Hole?"

I mean COME ON!! :roflmao::roflmao: :laugh2:

IcedXJ said:
I used to have this problem but I did not know what you just said till after the fact...hahaha I mean come on, did anyone else think something really immature when you read the title "Whats up with my rear end? Leaky Hole?"

I mean COME ON!! :roflmao::roflmao: :laugh2:

im suprised nobody beat me to it

-Tim

Back