• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cracked Head...Lifter noise, Please help

mistertwister68

NAXJA Forum User
So a while back I noticed that I had a phantom coolant leak. I could not see where it was leaking, no sludge in oil cap, dipstick looked good etc. I was stupid and did not address the problem since this in not my daily driver. Anyway last Saturday I go to start up the jeep (2000 XJ with 4.0) and there is this horrible lifer noise (knock). I take it to my mechanic and he pulls the valve cover and says 4 of my lifers have 1/4" play in them and it is not getting oil to the top end. He thinks I have major internal engine issues, even though my oil pressure is good and it drives perfect sans the knock. Questions: How can I fix the knock and how long can I drive this until I have to replace the head? Can I get rid of the knock and if so what do I have to do? I was militant on my maintenance and even had the rad flushed a few weeks before I noticed the phantom leak.

Thanks!!

Well, I'd start with replacing the head and adjusting all the valves properly and see what you have at that point. The 4.0 is a tough little engine. My buddy drove one with a broken oil pump (did not work at all) until the engine quit running. Then after it cooled a bit, he drove it back home. It developed a really noisy knocking noise, but two years later it's still running the same noisy way. I have a spare head, I'll PM you.

All I really want to do is get rid of the knock noise for right now. Will changing the oil and adding some MMO take care of that? I will replace the head this fall.

I doubt that an oil change and MMO will make the knocking stop. But you can certainly give it a try. Did the mechanic adjust the valves since he was in there? If not, you will never make the noise stop. Also, if you are not getting oil to the top of the engine, then continuing to run it that way will just make things go from bad to worse.

mistertwister68 said:
So will replacing the head cure this problem or do I need to check and see if there are other things wrong?

The 2000/2001 cylinder heads (Casting #0331) are fairly well-known for cracking between the #3 and #4 cylinders at the deck, and that results in a coolant leak (the crack penetrates the water jacket.)

Replacing the head should see to the coolant leak. While you have the head off, you can replace the lifters (only way to get to them anyhow) to see to your lifter tap. The current school of though is that you do not have to "prime" new lifters, but I always do, and haven't had any trouble doing so. How do you "prime" a lifter?

1) Pour a small bowl full of clean oil (min. 1-1/2" deep - enough to fully submerge a lifter.)

2) Drop in a new lifter, on its "foot."

3) Grab a clean pushrod (it need not be new.)

4) Use the pushrod to fully press and release the plunger in the top of the lifter (not much travel here - 1/8" or so.) Do this five or six times, hold at the bottom of the stroke.

5) Apply assembly lube to the lifter foot, and drop in the hole.

Yes, it's perfectly acceptable to install new lifters on a used camshaft, as long as the cam lobes are not damaged. It's going the other way that causes trouble.

Is it necessary to prime a new lifter? Theses days, it's been said it's not necessary - they'll prime themselves. I see no reason to stop, and there are reports from the field that say it's still necessary anyhow. I've certainly not harmed anything doing so, so I see no reason to stop.

Do not be stingy with assembly lube - get happy with the stuff! It's oil-soluble anyhow, and failure to use the stuff (or enough of it) will mean you'll be tearing down the engine to replace the cam and lifters in short order...

If you don't need the old head for a core, I'd like to see about getting it from you. Please let me know, and we can try to work something out.

So if I have driven this for a while 3-4 mos what other damage may have occured? The jeep drove perfect without any problems until I heard the lifter knock. I assume this is because a bunch of sludge released and prevented oil from reaching the top end. Do I have to worry about my Camshaft or anything else? Would it be safe to assume a mechanic can replace this head for $500 if I supply the head?

mistertwister68 said:
So if I have driven this for a while 3-4 mos what other damage may have occured? The jeep drove perfect without any problems until I heard the lifter knock. I assume this is because a bunch of sludge released and prevented oil from reaching the top end. Do I have to worry about my Camshaft or anything else? Would it be safe to assume a mechanic can replace this head for $500 if I supply the head?

You can swap the head yourself in an afternoon - no sense paying anyone else to do the job for you. Get a "Head Set" when you go to buy gaskets (everything from the head gasket on up, inclusive.) I don't know what a mechanic would charge you, since I've not used one (and there is a definite disparity between CA labour rates and rates in the Midwest. I grew up in Indiana...) Post a plea for help on the MWC board here - you can probably get the job done for some beer and a burned chunk of meat, and learn a good deal in the process.

A knocking tappet usually does not wreck a camshaft, so I wouldn't buy one in advance - unless you were planning on upgrading anyhow. You'll know for sure once you get into the job - what I'd do is take the head off, take the lifters out, and then have someone turn the engine over while I checked the lobes under a bright light (potential failure or damage is usually quite obvious.) If I don't see any trouble (I usually don't,) I prime & lube the lifters and drop them in.

Lifter knock usually indicates either a lifter out of adjustment (not a problem for us - AMC sixes are usually self-adjusting) or just failing to retain oil pressure when they're pumped up (fairly likely.) The latter is a simple replamcement issue - the former isn't a problem for us (unlike, say, SBC/SBF engines, you don't do an actual preload adjustment when you put the rockers in - you just torque them down and let the lifter take up the slack.)

I've seen engines go for a couple of years on a knocking tappet - I don't recommend it, but there you go. The potential "other" damage from a knocking/flat tapped would be the valve cracking from getting slammed shut - but you're replacing the head anyhow, so just get a "compleat" head and call it good. A compleat head will come with new valves/springs/keepers/locks, and probably rockers/pivots/bridges as well.

5-90 said:
You can swap the head yourself in an afternoon - no sense paying anyone else to do the job for you. Get a "Head Set" when you go to buy gaskets (everything from the head gasket on up, inclusive.) I don't know what a mechanic would charge you, since I've not used one (and there is a definite disparity between CA labour rates and rates in the Midwest. I grew up in Indiana...) Post a plea for help on the MWC board here - you can probably get the job done for some beer and a burned chunk of meat, and learn a good deal in the process.

A knocking tappet usually does not wreck a camshaft, so I wouldn't buy one in advance - unless you were planning on upgrading anyhow. You'll know for sure once you get into the job - what I'd do is take the head off, take the lifters out, and then have someone turn the engine over while I checked the lobes under a bright light (potential failure or damage is usually quite obvious.) If I don't see any trouble (I usually don't,) I prime & lube the lifters and drop them in.

Lifter knock usually indicates either a lifter out of adjustment (not a problem for us - AMC sixes are usually self-adjusting) or just failing to retain oil pressure when they're pumped up (fairly likely.) The latter is a simple replamcement issue - the former isn't a problem for us (unlike, say, SBC/SBF engines, you don't do an actual preload adjustment when you put the rockers in - you just torque them down and let the lifter take up the slack.)

I've seen engines go for a couple of years on a knocking tappet - I don't recommend it, but there you go. The potential "other" damage from a knocking/flat tapped would be the valve cracking from getting slammed shut - but you're replacing the head anyhow, so just get a "compleat" head and call it good. A compleat head will come with new valves/springs/keepers/locks, and probably rockers/pivots/bridges as well.

Hey Thanks alot I really appreciate all this help! Any idea why all of a sudden this would develop a lifter knock? Could it be a bunch of sludge from the coolant/oil that let loose? Like I said I noticed this slow coolant leak for a little while before the lifters started knocking. Before that everything was running fine, temp, oil pressure ect. In fact when I drove it to the mechanics I had great oil pressure ect. He took the valve cover off and said my lifters (4 of them) had a quarter inch of play in them. Does that mean something else is wrong too (Cam??)

One other thing I also noticed was that even after my jeep got up to opertating temp (210) my rad cap would be cold.. Was this due to low coolant or ???

Thanks again!

Last edited:
mistertwister68 said:
Hey Thanks alot I really appreciate all this help! Any idea why all of a sudden this would develop a lifter knock? Could it be a bunch of sludge from the coolant/oil that let loose? Like I said I noticed this slow coolant leak for a little while before the lifters started knocking. Before that everything was running fine, temp, oil pressure ect. In fact when I drove it to the mechanics I had great oil pressure ect. He took the valve cover off and said my lifters (4 of them) had a quarter inch of play in them. Does that mean something else is wrong too (Cam??)

One other thing I also noticed was that even after my jeep got up to opertating temp (210) my rad cap would be cold.. Was this due to low coolant or ???

Thanks again!

Sounds like the lifters have "collapsed", and are no longer able to retain oil pressure.

Hydraulic lifters serve two purposes:

1) They take up the slack in the valvetrain. Hydraulic tappets replaced mechanical tappets (which were basically machined metal slugs,) and mechanical tappets required periodic adjustment to keep noise and wear down. Hydraulic tappets eliminated this. Slack is taken up by the piston in the top of the thing, and the retention of oil pressure inside the lifter body (take apart an old one, and you'll get a better idea. They're held together with a small snapring, and it may be easily removed with a small flat screwdriver.)

2) They pump oil up to the top end of the engine (by way of the hollow pushrods,) to keep the rocker tips and pivots lubricated. When the valve first opens, a small amount of oil is forced out of the top of the lifter, which makes its way up the tube of the pushrod to the top end of the engine.

A "collapsed" lifter (usually indicated by a ticking sound that doesn't go away within about a minute of startup) means that the lifter can no longer retain oil pressure - probably due to internal wear (parts inside the lifter proper.)

A lifter can also "go solid" - usually because it's packed with crud. In this case, it doesn't self-adjust anymore, and symptoms usually include a mild to moderate loss of power (because the valves don't close properly anymore.)

A "collapsed" lifter can cause trouble - as I mentioned, the valves are now "slammed" or "slapped" shut instead of properly closed, and that means that the valve heads can crack. Worst case? If it's bad enough, long enough (we're talking noise like shaking a box of hammers here...) the valve head can actually snap off of the stem and get lodged in the piston head. This is in the very worst cases (there is sometimes a hole in the valve cover as well - since the valve head is the other end of retaining the valve spring. The valve stem and associated parts try to leave the engine.)

A "solid" lifter typically results in burned valves (because they don't close all the way,) poor vacuum, increased HC emissions, loss of power, ... Solid lifters don't tend to be noisy, because they're not slapping valves shut (in the worst cases, the valves actually do not close.)

At rest, expect there to be some small play in the valvetrain with some effort. For instance, you can push the plunger down (with some force) or spin a pushrod in its seat - but it should take some work to do (the "old standard" for adjusting the valvetrain on a Small Block Chevvy V8 was to turn the crank until both valves are closed, and spin the pushrod with two fingers of one hand while tightening the pivot nut with the other until you couldn't do it anymore. Our 4.0L engines, however, have fixed pivot balls - torquing the rocker screws down sets the preload on the lifters.)

If you're worried about cam lift, it can be checked with only needing to remove the valve cover - but you'll need a dial indicator with a magnetic base and about a couple of hours (you'll be turning the engine by hand and checking lobes one at a time.) A decent dial indicator and mag base kit can usually be had for <$50 via mail-order (check with Enco, MSC Direct, or any other MRO outfit - they're useful to have anyhow, once you get started on doing your own work. A 1" travel indicator is enough for most applications, I've not typically needed more than a 2" for most work. Checking strokes will require a 4" or so, tho.) Usually, however, the symptoms of a "flat cam" are rather more obvious - no need to worry about that, unless you've been using API "Energy Saving" oil or something like that (that's another discussion, believe me!)

Hm - cold cap on an "open" system? Do you have a non-contact IR thermometer? They can be had fairly cheaply - it may be instructive to idle your engine up to op-temp and then take a "thermal profile" of your radiator to check for blockage. That's the first thing that comes to mind for me...

So is it safe to assume if I swap out the cracked 0331 head with a 0630 head I will need to fab a coil pack bracket? Is there anything else ie exhaust adaptor plate, header, gaskets ect? Is there any other issues with this new head retro-fitting?

By the way my jeep is a 2000 xj 4.0

Back