• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

89 XJ Ball Joints

sleeperjeeper

NAXJA Forum User
I am getting a bad creaking sound out of my passanger side Ball Joints. I looked it up in my book, but all it said was that it requires a special tool on available to the average home mechanic and I should take it to a dealer. I assume they are not talking about a ball joint fork, so has anyone done the ball joints on their jeep, and if so, what does it entail?

Thanks in advance

They probably mean a ball joint separator tool. It's usually a "free" loaner tool from A/Z, Checker etc. "Free" means that you basically buy it, then get a full refund when you return it. I've paid with a check then got the actual check back when I was done.

The tool is basically a c-clamp with some fittings to push the ball joints out. No need to go to the stealership!

just to clarify, you need to separate the knuckle from the axle, then press the ball joints both out AND in. not usually difficult with the press tool, just tedious.

Back