• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

temp gauge won't read over 150

Walt Stanley

Pine Barrens Trucker
Hi: Suddenly, my temperature gauge, which normally registers 200, only goes up to 150. The question is, what to check first. Gauge, sensor, thermostat or what?

To confuse things--the engine was hot, with a rag I cracked open the radiator cap and put a thermometer in. It read about 160. I turned the key on to read the gauge and it went to 150, seemed to hesitate, then went up to 200. Air lock??

Should I clean all the contacts and connectors first? Any other ideas?

Walt

Walt Stanley said:
Hi: Suddenly, my temperature gauge, which normally registers 200, only goes up to 150. The question is, what to check first. Gauge, sensor, thermostat or what?

To confuse things--the engine was hot, with a rag I cracked open the radiator cap and put a thermometer in. It read about 160. I turned the key on to read the gauge and it went to 150, seemed to hesitate, then went up to 200. Air lock??

Should I clean all the contacts and connectors first? Any other ideas?

Walt

1. check connections first. ( no cost involved )
2. Burp system to make sure no air is in there. you can usually run it for 30 minutes and the air rises to the top )
3. temp sensor...
4. temp gauge

Look at it that way...least expensive to most.

If you've never replaced the coolant sensor, that would be my guess. Clusters are fairly reliable.

Red:

Thanks. That helps a lot. What I found most interesting, is that about burping.
I mentioned that I took of the radiator cap to check the temperature and when I got back into the Jeep to turn on the gauges, the needle went up to 200.

I'll definitely will do the burp. The price is right.

Thanks

The T-stat is probably stuck open... It's happened to me in another vehicle (in the winter which sucked because I had no heat! lol)

Back