• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

NV3550 questions.

zluster

NAXJA Forum User
Couple of questions.

I need a NV3550. Does the NV3550 out of the XJ or TJ have the same length input shaft as the NV3550 out of a KJ?

If I find a NV3550 out of a 2wd vehicle can I just unbolt the 2wd tail shaft and bolt on my transfer case?

Similar question, does the NSG 370 have the same input shaft length between the TJ and KJ? can I unbolt the tail shaft section from a NSG 370 and bolt my transfer case to it?

I dont have any answers to your questions, but here is a good page talking about the 3550 with info -
http://www.novak-adapt.com/knowledge/nv3550.htm

it seems there is only 1 variation on the transmission?

you might have some luck calling a jeep dealership and asking them to run the part numbers on the trannys for the TJ's / XJ's / and KJ's and see if they are the same number...

is there any way to look at the tranny before buying it?

Ok, I dont recall but I dont think that the XJ came with an NV3550. The rest I dont know. Try KJ's west website. Do a search and you will find there website.

ryurabbit said:
Ok, I dont recall but I dont think that the XJ came with an NV3550. The rest I dont know. Try KJ's west website. Do a search and you will find there website.

2000/2001 models did

XJ_ranger said:
I dont have any answers to your questions, but here is a good page talking about the 3550 with info -
http://www.novak-adapt.com/knowledge/nv3550.htm

it seems there is only 1 variation on the transmission?

you might have some luck calling a jeep dealership and asking them to run the part numbers on the trannys for the TJ's / XJ's / and KJ's and see if they are the same number...

is there any way to look at the tranny before buying it?

The Parts Fiche lists 3 part numbers:
52104385AB - 4WD NV3550
52104386AB - 2WD NV3550
52104387AB - Heavy duty 5 speed, also the most expensive of the new trannies - Diesel?

KJ:
52104817AB - 4WD 3.7L
52104818AC - 2WD 3.7L
52104820AC - 4WD diesel.

Now the transmission its self might be the same unit, the KJ and the XJ/TJ use different bell housings. So the transmission assembly gets a whole new part number.

Yes, it does seem that there is only one transmission, with only the bellhousing and tailshaft sections being different.

I can look at the transmission in person when I pick it up, but without anything to compare it to I cannot verify that the input shaft is the same length.

ryurabbit said:

2000+ did. Also, I'm not sure what website your talking about, only results I get for KJs west is the LOST west section.

I know on the AW4's that the tailcone and the output shaft are different for the 4wd/2wd - so if it is a 2wd transmission, you might be SOL...

maybe measure your current transmission length and how far the input / output shafts stick, and measure the other one before walking away with it?

swap to an ax-15?

XJ_ranger said:
I know on the AW4's that the tailcone and the output shaft are different for the 4wd/2wd - so if it is a 2wd transmission, you might be SOL...

maybe measure your current transmission length and how far the input / output shafts stick, and measure the other one before walking away with it?

swap to an ax-15?

Ah see, this is where being cryptic now leads to the point of confusing. I tried to state my original question as simple as possible to avoid the confusion with what I am doing.

I do not have a transmission right now. I have the bellhousing for a NV3550 that will mate to my engine. The engine this is being mated to is the 2.5 Turbo diesel out of the KJs, I know that a KJ NV3550 will work just fine for me. I do not know if the XJ/TJ nv3550 has the same input shaft as the KJ.

The cheapest transmission I have sourced locally is out of a TJ, I'm all ready and gung-ho to get it now, I just need to verify that it is the same unit as the KJ.

Comparing the part numbers doesn't help me any because the KJ uses the newer bellhousing bolt patterns found in the V6 and V8s.

Now, the NSG370 out of a KJ would also work for me.

I don't think AX-15 is really an option for me unless the NV3550 and the AX-15 bellhousing are interchangeable. (meaning, could you take a 2000 NV3550 bellhousing, and bolt it on a 99 AX-15?) I would guess no. But the AX-15 is a much cheaper option at only round $200.

Be careful. The diesel trans and the gas trans has different gear ratios I think.

I would just get a tape and check for myself. Don't forget to check the output shaft diameter and any other needed spec. There is a different between internal and external slaves. The 3550 needs an external.
Checking yourself is always a good idea no mater what the book say. When getting used parts you never know what mods were done by previous owner. I have run into this more then once.

Last edited:
Pull the CRD and all the electronics and load that into your jeep too! Then you don't have to worry about all this tranny jazz!

Also, you'll get a diesel-sipping torque monster four cylinder! The XJ is lighter than the KJ, so it'll probably get even more gas mileage than the Libby!

Or you could just take it easy and do what you wanted to in the first place...

The "output" shaft is actually the main shaft. It runs clear through the transmission. You can swap them out, but it requires total disassembly/reassembly.

I checked the books. For 2000 and 2001 XJ's and TJ's, the input shafts are the same. In 2002 however the P/N changed, but is the same for KJ's and TJ's with the NV3550 right up to 2004 when they switched to the NSG370. The input shafts for 2005 and 2006 TJ's is the same as the input shafts for 2005 to 2007 KJ's (NSG370)

After looking that up, I looked up the bellhousing part numbers to see if there was a difference. Obviously the 3.7 has a different bell housing than the 4.0, but the TJ's kept the same bellhousing from 2000 right up to 2004. My thought is if the TJ bellhousings are the same, then the input shaft length should be too despite the change in part numbers.

ryurabbit said:
Be careful. The diesel trans and the gas trans has different gear ratios I think.

Not from what I can tell, course that doesn't matter, its not like I am going to be getting a diesel trans in the US anyways.

badron said:
I would just get a tape and check for myself. Don't forget to check the output shaft diameter and any other needed spec. There is a different between internal and external slaves. The 3550 needs an external.
Checking yourself is always a good idea no mater what the book say. When getting used parts you never know what mods were done by previous owner. I have run into this more then once.

The problem was there was nothing for me to compare it against. Kinda like if your the only guy in the world with a measuring tape and your "tool" you might be able to measure it, but without anything to compare it to its pointless. =)

Mr_Random said:
Pull the CRD and all the electronics and load that into your jeep too! Then you don't have to worry about all this tranny jazz!

Also, you'll get a diesel-sipping torque monster four cylinder! The XJ is lighter than the KJ, so it'll probably get even more gas mileage than the Libby!

Or you could just take it easy and do what you wanted to in the first place...

I am putting the CRD and all its electronics in my MJ, my CRD engine came ready to mate to a manual transmission the NV3550, my engine is the 2.5L from the 2002-2004 KJ CRD, the 2.5 was only sold mated to the manual, the 2.8 was mated to the auto in the 2002-2004.

xjguy98 said:
I checked the books. For 2000 and 2001 XJ's and TJ's, the input shafts are the same. In 2002 however the P/N changed, but is the same for KJ's and TJ's with the NV3550 right up to 2004 when they switched to the NSG370. The input shafts for 2005 and 2006 TJ's is the same as the input shafts for 2005 to 2007 KJ's (NSG370)

After looking that up, I looked up the bellhousing part numbers to see if there was a difference. Obviously the 3.7 has a different bell housing than the 4.0, but the TJ's kept the same bellhousing from 2000 right up to 2004. My thought is if the TJ bellhousings are the same, then the input shaft length should be too despite the change in part numbers.

Thats good to know, i didn't think of checking the PNs for the internal parts between the two, that should have been an obvious first step.

For anyone wondering what happened, I got the nv3550 and a NP242, I got them mated up, you can follow my build here:
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=955062&page=7
MJ78.jpg

As mentioned, the NV3550 can be found in 2000 (late, I think) and 2001 XJs - the TJ got it a little earlier. It's also in the Dakota, and all versions use the same bellhousing as the "external" AX-15 (it is removable, so engine conversions are relatively easy.)

There is no easy way to swap between 2WD and 4WD versions, as the mainshafts are different (the 2WD mainshaft is longer.) Conversion requires donor parts and an overhaul.

Note that the TJ version has the transfer case "clocked" to rest a little flatter than the XJ - this can be handled either by massaging the transmission tunnel with a bloody great hammer or by putting on the XJ transfer case adapter (a simple swap.) I'm not sure about the Dakota variant, but the same idea applies there as well.

I don't know much about the NSG370. Yet. That's on my list... However, I'm fairly sure the bellhousing pattern is different there, and I also believe that the bellhousing on the NSG370 is integral (can anyone confirm?)

5-90 said:
As mentioned, the NV3550 can be found in 2000 (late, I think) and 2001 XJs - the TJ got it a little earlier. It's also in the Dakota, and all versions use the same bellhousing as the "external" AX-15 (it is removable, so engine conversions are relatively easy.)

There is no easy way to swap between 2WD and 4WD versions, as the mainshafts are different (the 2WD mainshaft is longer.) Conversion requires donor parts and an overhaul.

Note that the TJ version has the transfer case "clocked" to rest a little flatter than the XJ - this can be handled either by massaging the transmission tunnel with a bloody great hammer or by putting on the XJ transfer case adapter (a simple swap.) I'm not sure about the Dakota variant, but the same idea applies there as well.

I don't know much about the NSG370. Yet. That's on my list... However, I'm fairly sure the bellhousing pattern is different there, and I also believe that the bellhousing on the NSG370 is integral (can anyone confirm?)

So the TJ nv3550 is the same, but the TJ transfer case is actually clocked different?

the NSG370 has an integral bellhousing, so a NSG370 from a KJ will not install into a TJ/XJ. If you wanted a NSG370 for your TJ you have to get one from a TJ.

On the plus side, tranny swaps between most newer DCJ products shouldn't be too bad, most of them should share a new "small block" bellhousing pattern.

zluster said:
So the TJ nv3550 is the same, but the TJ transfer case is actually clocked different?

the NSG370 has an integral bellhousing, so a NSG370 from a KJ will not install into a TJ/XJ. If you wanted a NSG370 for your TJ you have to get one from a TJ.

On the plus side, tranny swaps between most newer DCJ products shouldn't be too bad, most of them should share a new "small block" bellhousing pattern.

Essentially correct. The TJ transfer case adapter has the transfer case sitting closer to horizontal.

The integral bellhousing can still be adapted - but it takes an adapter plate and rather more work (I don't recall how the adapter plate idea works offhand - I've seen one, but it was some years ago. Fortunately, loading on the adapter plate is going to be torsional rather than tensile, so it suddenly gets a lot easier...)

5-90 said:
Essentially correct. The TJ transfer case adapter has the transfer case sitting closer to horizontal.

The integral bellhousing can still be adapted - but it takes an adapter plate and rather more work (I don't recall how the adapter plate idea works offhand - I've seen one, but it was some years ago. Fortunately, loading on the adapter plate is going to be torsional rather than tensile, so it suddenly gets a lot easier...)

Well yes, but by the time you have to make an adapter plate you might as well throw in any transmission, no reason to pick one particular transmission if its going to be alot of cost to mate it up when another will mate up fine.

I still don't know what you mean by "transfer case adapter" the AW4 has a tail section which bolts to the trans and seal the back of the tranny, the transfer case bolts to that.

The NV3550 just has the output shaft of the tranny, strait to the transfer case. there is no "adapter" only the case to transfer case.

Back