• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tranny Issues?

98XJSport

Destiny is the rising sun
I have a 98 XJ auto ~4.5" lift. I just put on a set of 33x12.50 Wild Country tires, and have noticed my transmission acting differently. It feels like when I hit the brakes hard and come to a complete stop, then get on the gas again there is a hesitation. Like it takes the tranny a second to re-engage. I am getting ready to go check the fluid now, does it sound like any specific problem? I know near nothing about transmissions :dunce:

try adjusting your trans kickdown detent, it is located on top of the intake nxt to your cruise and throttle cables there is like 6 pos it can be i played with it for a while until the long delay that you are experiecing went away, something to do with 33's and factory gears...

I saw the cable, but not any way to adjust it?

And any ideas why it would start a couple days after putting on 33s? Didn't do it for the 4 months I had 32s...

Last edited:
cherokee chuck said:
it never hurts to service a tranny if it hasn't been done recently. hesitation is a sympton of bad fluid & the 33s might have aggravated the problem.

X2 What is the color and smell of your tranny fluid?

You didn't list regearing and 33 with stock gears is a bit much. It SHOULD be a bit slower off the line as the slush converter needs to flash to a higher ratio to get all that extra beef rolling.(with stock gears)
Every pound of rolling or spinning weight you add (your rims and tires) take ((4)) times the torque to get to the same speed in the same time as 1 pound on the Jeep in general.
Mass square speed over time I think is right. Would Sir Isaac Newton chime in and do the right math please. This is besides the mechanical advantage you lose with taller tires.

badron said:
You didn't list regearing and 33 with stock gears is a bit much. It SHOULD be a bit slower off the line as the slush converter needs to flash to a higher ratio to get all that extra beef rolling.(with stock gears)
Every pound of rolling or spinning weight you add (your rims and tires) take ((4)) times the torque to get to the same speed in the same time as 1 pound on the Jeep in general.
Mass square speed over time I think is right. Would Sir Isaac Newton chime in and do the right math please. This is besides the mechanical advantage you lose with taller tires.

Not Sir Isaac Newton, so no math but you are correct! If he did not regear then there is added stress on the drivetrain componets!!

Of course there is less power with the bigger tires. I expected that. But there is a physical time after stopping (im assuming when the torque converter unlocks?) and pressing the gas, before the transmission engages again. Like it didn't lock back up properly. Or didn't downshift before take off, that would be possible, I suppose. Ive also had it kind of lock up and try to go forward when the brake is all the way to the floor ar a stoplight.

For what it's worth my tire weight didn't change, only the diameter by ~3/4".

Ran out of daylight to check the fluid, hopefully tonite...

Is there any way to adjust the shift points?

cherokee chuck said:
it never hurts to service a tranny if it hasn't been done recently. hesitation is a sympton of bad fluid & the 33s might have aggravated the problem.

Wait, this thing uses fluid? And it's supposed to be red?

Couldn't tell it had fluid by the stick. And draining it looked more like thin synthetic oil, no hint of red. Luckily no burnt smell, but Ive put near 3 quarts of fresh ATF in it, going to need another probably, I think it's up to the add line now. (I bought 4, but used ~1.5 as a "flush")

And now it feels fine, shifts like it's supposed to. I guess the bigger tires just pushed it past the edge since it was already on old low fluid.

:cheers: Thanks for the help!

You're adding extra stress to the transmission by not regearing. If the fluid was brown, you need to change it a couple times to flush the old stuff. Also, the AW4 requires I think Dextron III/Mercon, so pay attention to what you buy, and doublecheck the owners manual for proper type. I don't remember off the top of my head, but I know you can't just run _ANY_ fluid in it. 4.56's are in your future, or a transmission, your choice. :)

Im well aware of how hard it is on the tranny, but gotta work with what I got. And yes, the AW4 uses 4 quarts of dexron/mercon III. Although when changing like this, you only actually drain ~2 quarts. Ill probably run it a few weeks, and do a quick drain/fill again. Considering Ive never changed it, who knows about the PO, going on 190K Im lucky it still works at all...

Back