• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

A/C drains into cab?

bigalpha

The other day, I go to work on the Jeep, and the carpet was soaking wet. My first reaction was that it had rained, and some water had leaked in through the door. But, there hadn't been any rain recently.

I found a reference somewhere that a seal can stop working effectively, causing it to drain into the cab. For some reason, I can't find this reference again.

Has anyone had a problem like this before?

Yeah I know what your talking about. It can be caused by multiple issues. The most common one I have seen up here is the tube that goes from the blower to the blower motor. if you pop it off check for debris stuck in the tube. You may also want to pull the blower out and look for more debris as well as the cowl that is covering the wipers. Those are the easier things to check. Other than that you are going to have to remove the dash to look for water and or debris build up. Good luck for instructions on how to do the dash you may want to check this out: http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=931690&highlight=replacing+heater+core

Your a/c drain may be clogged........dirt dobbers will do this for you if you let it sit too long.

Anyway, just locate your drain.......under the hood on the passenger side..down kind of low below where the a/c lines enter the cab. Take a suitable object....coathanger, screwdriver and make sure it is clear....don't jab into the casing too hard........as that is where your evaporator core is.

Just make sure it is clear to drain.

Great. Thanks for the suggestions. I'll check these out. I hope it's as simple as this and nothing that's in-depth and expensive.

Not sure if it is the same in an XJ but I had this issue with my 02 TJ. The issue was a bad design in the drain tube. The tube basically just was a straight pipe through the firewall that allowed the water to get blown back into the cabin when going at higher speeds (45+). What Jeep did to resolve was to install a 90 degree fitting on the end of the drain tube so the water would flow down but not be affected by air blowing at it.

shanesaw said:
Have you ruled out a leaky heater core? There shouldn't be very much condensation from the AC unit.

Depends on location. In the midwest with the high humidity you get A LOT of water from the AC's.

Back