• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

D30 Disconnect Fix

Tommy4949

NAXJA Forum User
I have been searching for a solution to fixing the PIA disconnect on my D30. I shimmed the fork over using a hose clamp on the fork shaft. Then the pads wore off shorty after. I bought new pads and they won't stay on the fork. They keep falling off and allowing the collar to slide over to disconnect the pass side axle shaft after about 10 minutes of 4wd.

I saw a post in an old thread about a guy who slid the collar over and used a hose clamp on the axle shaft to keep the collar from sliding over to disconnect. But I only found the one post and he never said how it worked out, how long he had it like that or if he had any problems with it.

I am upgrading to a one piece pass side shaft in the Fall/Winter so I don't want to spend any money fixing the current setup. None of the JYs have XJs with the disco axle, so I can't get a used fork. Has anyone else tried using the hose clamp (or any other thing) on the axle shaft to hold the shift collar in place?

I really need to get this fixed tomorrow so I can go out with my buddies on Saturday before they ship off to Iraq. TIA

Guess what......................

It was still holding up when I sold the XJ.

Hi..
sounds like the post I posted.
Had it in 4-wd a few times after I did that.
No problems.
The guy I sold it to is on here and the Jeep is just about 4 miles from me.
Goes by swamprat.
I never felt the need or thought about taking the plate off to look at it but.......
Maybe......... if I ask him nice......... he might let me pull it off and take a peek at it.
(Hes out of state right now)
I'll hit him with a pm and find out for ya.

drifto77 said:
Guess what......................

It was still holding up when I sold the XJ.

Hi..
sounds like the post I posted.
Had it in 4-wd a few times after I did that.
No problems.
The guy I sold it to is on here and the Jeep is just about 4 miles from me.
Goes by swamprat.
I never felt the need or thought about taking the plate off to look at it but.......
Maybe......... if I ask him nice......... he might let me pull it off and take a peek at it.
(Hes out of state right now)
I'll hit him with a pm and find out for ya.

Wow, that would be awesome, thanks man. I just came across another post where someone else was suggesting to do the same thing. I'm going to give it a try tomorrow, what's the worst that could happen :)

Well, the hose clamp held up for one 4 hour trip. I just got stuck tonight in a mud pubble with a 6" diameter rock in front of my front tire, had to winch myself out and really gas it to continue off the trail. Time to repair it right I guess.

I have a disco front axle and two non disco front axles.

The disco axle is in my Jeep now. It's a 1990 and the seals have been bad for a while since I have rust spots all over the gears and the big clamps (not sure what they are called) are are completely rust colored. So I am sceptacle about just throwing in a new seal and one piece shaft into it.

One of he non-discos is in an '88 XJ. It has been sitting for over 3 years. I know it at least needs u-joints. Plus I'm worried about needing new brakes and unit bearings since it has been sitting so long.

The other non-disco axle is in a '91 that has bee sitting for over 5 years, 2 years in the elements and 3 years in a barn. I am even more worried about the brakes and stuff in this one.

What do you guys suggest I do? I have to use what I have since I have a family and am only a 1st year Electrician's apprentice.

gerroffroad.com said:
take the 91 axle swap around the good parts you have from your disco axle and repair anything you can while your doing it the first time.
x2
Especially since you already have the axles laying around. That's how I was rid of my Disco (should've died w/70's) Slotted rotors will be easier to find later.

Back