• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

quick disconnects

Ewenm

NAXJA Forum User
hi all, any tricks for getting the lower link pin out axle end (d30 94 XJ)

i am fitting JKS quick disconnects and have removed the link arm but cannot loosen the lower threaded bolt, i only have 3/8 drive tork sockets, ive soaked the bolts in WD40 and left it, any suggestions, oh by the way i dont have access to heat, i thought of locking two nuts together and then with a socket on one end and spanner on the other it might work, other option is to cut the head off with an angle grinder and then drill it out ( yeah i know to watch out for the thread) what do you think am i on the right track

Ewen

Those lower link bolts aren't threaded, they're splined.

I believe the bolts are splined. At least in the 88 89 models it is. so you have to push them out. big c-clamp and large socket as a receiving cup like ball joints

What you really need is a puller. It is mounted almost like a stud but with a two prong puller it is easy work. Off in like 15 seconds. I tried drilling/beating mine out to no avail. Used a puller...off in 15 seconds. The puller is like $15 at AutoZone. Well worth it.

Greg

Here is how i did it, note this axle is out of the Jeep, but there should be enough room in there for a ball joint press like this one. They came out in seconds each side with the press.

trailrig12ya6.jpg

xjtrailrider said:
Here is how i did it, note this axle is out of the Jeep, but there should be enough room in there for a ball joint press like this one. They came out in seconds each side with the press.

trailrig12ya6.jpg

I tried the U-joint press as seen above and couldn't get mine to budge. I then used a TRE/pitman puller which easily pushed the stud out. I'm really not sure why the U-joint press wouldn't work.

What ever you do... do yourself a favor don't buy cheap pitman arm pullers. I've broken a few.

thanks for all the help, i got them out yesterday i had soaked them for a couple of days in WD40 and bought a pitman puller before i read the post above, so i just held a BFH on the mounting bracket and a couple of good wacks with another hammer and out they came

Ewen

WD40 is a crummy penetrant at best. It's a water displacer more than anything else.

If you want to break down run, get some PB Blaster, Kroil, or something of that sort.

I want to know who the cruel bastard is that put the torx head on that pressed in stud lol.

I knew about this but forgot when I went to put my JKS discos on. I F'd with it for about 30 minutes then pulled my head from my ass and hit them with my air hammer.

Air hammers are cool. Properly used they can even remove stubborn fan clutches form fords/gms. Ya know, the ones you are supposed to use those gay skinny wrenches for. PITA. A few hits with the air hammer, whaaalaaaaa! Just make sure you hammer on the correct side per rotation. I realize now that has nothing to do with this thread. Oh well. As far as a good penetrant goes, I have not found anything better than "Break-A-Way" from the "MARC" brand. Sometimes hard to find, but if you find it, buy it.

The WD-40 in the gallon jugs works better than the aerosol(sp) stuff as well.

Back