• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Camber question

xj-boonie

NAXJA Forum User
I just got my alignment done also (haven't picked up the XJ yet) after putting new ORO U-turn steering on it and a 97 XJ front axle. They said that I've got 1 degree too much camber on the left side (not sure if it's positive or negative) and that replacing the upper left ball joint with an off-set one would fix it, but the current ball joint is good. Also, my left side wheel bearing is a little loose.

I'll post up the specs when I pick it up this afternoon.

Just wondering if I can live with the camber or should replace the ball joint? I'm more worried about the wheel bearing (and the bad u-joint I've got on the passenger side...).

Thanks,
Mike

i'd fix the bearing and see what the specs are after that.

I think if your ball joints (and everything else) are good, and your camber is still off, that indicates your housing is slightly bent. I dont think 1* is anything to stress about though.

So here are the specs:

Caster:
Before: Left 6.54 degrees
Right 7.36 degrees
After: Left 6.37 degrees
Right 7.53 degrees

Camber:
Before: Left 1.08 degrees
Right -0.24 degrees
After: Left 1.02 degrees
Right -0.15 degrees

Partial Toe:
Before: Left -0.18
Right 0.19
After: Left 0.00
Right 0.00

Question: with caster angles different like that, could I have a tweaked housing? and how would the camber angle change with out changing the ball joints?

The lower control arms can be shimmed at the frame mounting location to adjust caster...I'm not sure how much in degrees, but there is a bit of room to move the control arm forward or aft to at least match the two sides if it isn't within spec. Do you have visible damage to the mounts on the axle or housing? When I had my alignment done after an axle swap my camber was also off about 1 degree at the left front wheel. I can't see it with the naked eye and it drives straight as an arrow. I think that one of the sensors wasn't pushed on to the rim all the way or something because I should have been able to see 1 degree of camber, let alone feel it pulling a little bit to the right when driving. Unless you are getting steering side effects from it I wouldn't worry about it at all. Just check out your ball joints real good and make sure they aren't worn. The wheel bearing shouldn't be the problem since that would give you negative camber, if anything...but fix it anyway!

Back