• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

High speed troubles

MILEHIGHXJ96

NAXJA Forum User
Situation;
So here's what im working with so you might have an idea whats causing the problem, 96 jeep cherokee 5in lift, 31's, sye, transfercase drop, throttle body spacer, and new engine that i put in myself,

Problem:
When i try to accelerate faster on the highway the car seems to miss fire or something. What happens is the car will lose power then kick, then no pwer then, go and it seems like only one pistons is firing so idk, but i have to drive back out to Crested butte this week and really dont feel safe with out being aable to accelerate and pass a semi

thanks u for any help, i really dont want to pay the dealership 140 just to hook it up to a dino

I.m not sure I have the symptoms down but is it this:

Engine startes and idles ok.
Seems to work properly in neutral/low load conditions.
Under load, engine runs fine at a constant speed
step on the gas, engine hesitates(almost seems to die) then surges(may seem to buck a little) then settles down and seems to run fine again.
No noticeable problem when you slow down.

Is that it? Bad TPS(throttle position sensor)

yes it will your not getting the right info to the ecm so it does not know what to do and the jeep acts up when you get out of that spot it clears up and runs normal so it sounds like a bad tps to me.

Back