• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

new engine gauge

mavrick

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 2000 that came with the dummy light-up gauges. I don't trust these things at all. I plan on getting so individual gauges and mount from Jegs. Will I be able to tap in to the original wire/ temp sending unit?

Sorry, don't know the specific answer to your question.
Have you thought about doing a cluster swap to replace the idiot cluster with a guage cluster? You have to replace the idiot light sending units with ones for gauges because the idiot light sending units function like off/on switches and the gauge units are more like rheostats sending variable voltage.
That may answer your question anyway - you can't use the existing sending units for gauges of any kind but I don't know if aftermarket gauges can use the voltage range from stock gauge sending units.
Another alternative is to T off the oil sending unit & mount a 2nd unit that works with the oil gauge and use an in-line radiator hose unit like one of these: http://www.jazzproparts.com/AC_Autotechnic_Accessories_s/1335.htm
for the water temp.
Or do the same thing and go with mechanical gauges.

sjkimmel99 said:
You have to replace the idiot light sending units with ones for gauges...

Thats not true, at least for 97+. Just pick up an instrument cluster with the gauges and swap it out. I did that on my 98, the only thing is that the odometer will show mileage from the vehicle you took it from, not yours.

Back