• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Old/New Seatbelt Compatibility

Bill-93XJ

NAXJA Forum User
My XJ is 93 with Tan interior. Seatbelts by Bendix. Crapola. Driver's side front failed open. Pass side front just failed closed. My question is will a 'newer' style female end (newer type has red button?) work with the old parts? What year did they switch to the new style? TIA.... Bill-93XJ

The switch to the newer style is 96. My old 96 belts would not work with a 93. I compared the 96 to my 98's and they are the same. So you would have to switch over to a complete 96+ system.

Same goes for the mounting brackets for the front seats. They switched to the different brackets in 96.

If I was able to track down 97 or 98 belts, would the mounting to the body be the same (remember mine is 93)? TIA Bill-93XJ

I have the seatbelts from a 97+ in mine. Granted, I used the latches from a 96 because IIRC correctly in 97 they switched to being mounted on the seat. It does work, and they rock.

During my searches for parts (Google mostly) it looked like the 96 belts had issues (recalls). Would I be OK getting a set of 96 (complete) or would it be better to mix the 97 and 96 ?? What I want mainly is to just bolt them in without a lot of hassle or modifications. 97 belts attach to the seat? Weird. Why in the heck do they change stuff when it works..?

The belt on my 98 bolts to the floor, just like my 96. They don't bolt to the seat.

xjohnnyc said:
The belt on my 98 bolts to the floor, just like my 96. They don't bolt to the seat.
There's your answer. I know I got the shoulder assemblies from Remi's (Kejtar on here) 98XJ and they worked great. Like I said IIRC I used the latches from a 96 but either way would work I'm sure.

Back