• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

XJ rear disc conversion

XJ9888

NAXJA Forum User
Hey all-
Is there any possible way to swap the disc brakes from a ZJ into an XJ? I thought i heard of this swap before but had no luck finding any write-ups while searching.:paperwork Any help would be appreciated!!

i believe crown automotive offers a ZJ disc swap kit.. shoot a PM to Gerr, he's a crown auto dealer.

I did it with a mixture of used backing plates, calipers, proportion valve, and e-brake cables(from a 96ZJ at the JY) and new pads, rotors, and hardware(for 96ZJ at local autoparts store) for ~$150. I love em. I can only imagine how more necessary they'd be if you had a heavier and larger diameter tire to stop. If I did it again, I would buy new calipers, new KJ e-brake cables, and more performance oriented rotors and pads.

Last edited:
poorboy_616 said:
hmmmmm......

Tempting, espacially after I get the master/booster changed over to the newer XJ style.....

Don't even bother with the newer XJ booster at all... go straight to a WJ booster/master swap.. much better bang for the buck over the XJ dual diaphram.. I know I have run both..

Well according to my sources at TA/4wp the kit was due to release soon and the projected retail was near $589, not too bad but close to the tera kit.. The only thing is that it includes e-brake cables as well.. So should be interesting.. just FYI...

looking at the prices, im hit with the shockwave of $600 disk brakes... which isnt attractive to me...
however... if your building up an axle... its hard to justify putting old drums back on... im sure i may have spent near that $600 benchmark on my d44 cv brakes... but atleast i didnt spend it all in one place... that makes it less painfull..

i STILL wouldnt take a perfectly good rear axle apart JUST to install new disc brakes.... it just doesnt seem worthy

xcm said:
looking at the prices, im hit with the shockwave of $600 disk brakes... which isnt attractive to me...
however... if your building up an axle... its hard to justify putting old drums back on... im sure i may have spent near that $600 benchmark on my d44 cv brakes... but atleast i didnt spend it all in one place... that makes it less painfull..

i STILL wouldnt take a perfectly good rear axle apart JUST to install new disc brakes.... it just doesnt seem worthy

Well if you recall that the Tera kit retails for 599.00 and did not include e-brake cables.. Just like anything else, once the newness wears off it will be easier to find for the low 5 range.. Honestly you can buy the ford motor sport kit for the explorer stuff for 399.00 and have to modify the backing plates to work. These kits claim to be a bolt on no hassle kit. And if you still think that is expensive.. Have you seen Baer brakes kit lately..

I bought 'pieces' off the board here for $200, everything was there but the backing plates. The pads will be replaced just because I want new ones. "Loaded" backing plates from a Rubicon are $134 each at the dealer, coincidence I just priced these yesterday. Loaded plates have the park brake shoes and springs, maybe the park brake cables.

So $464 does beat $589 + shipping, but it sure is easier just getting the whole package with all new parts.

Clean-RC said:
Honestly you can buy the ford motor sport kit for the explorer stuff for 399.00 and have to modify the backing plates to work. These kits claim to be a bolt on no hassle kit. And if you still think that is expensive.. Have you seen Baer brakes kit lately..

Is this the kit you are talking about? Says it's for Ford trucks with the 8.8.

http://www.jegs.com/p/Ford+Racing/762880/10002/-1/10155

?

Thanks.

I just got a rear disk setup off a crown vic in the salvage yard for less than $50. I will have to do some fab work to get the e-brake cables to work correctly, but I didn't spend $600 either.

Back