• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

I'm officially on 35's!!!

tayman

NAXJA Forum User
well, just got the tires mounted and balanced yesterday. hacked, and beat the crap out of the fenders/wheel wells... the rears clear fine, I need to hit the foreward side of the front inner fenderwell some more... otherwise it's good.

000_0978.jpg

000_0977.jpg

...and then here's what happens when you don't re-gear and run white rock on open diffs!:peace::roflmao:

000_0975.jpg

000_0976.jpg

and, yes... I'm still on stock axles, with (OUCH!) 3.07 gearing... to be honest, it's not nearly as bad as I thought it would be. so it's all good, until I :explosion something more expensive... or get money for an 8.8, gears, and a locker.

A buddy of mine got some pretty sweet flexin pics from wheelin' today... I'll post them up as soon as I get them.

Last edited:
yeah, I'm glad that broke, and not an axle... I'd do the sye, but another stock shaft is going to be really cheap, and I'm trying to save money for a winch, an 8.8, locker, gears front and rear... ya know... loads O cash so I think I'll just grab another stocker for now.

yea i finally regeared last month. killer $$$. its hard paying for this stuff workin for a little over $8 an hour.. took me my stimulus check and saving for 2 months to get it regeared. not countin stayin at home and waisting money on gas and playing around. but its worth it in the end.

yeah, it's crazy fun stuff. we did a couple real tough trails before that happened, and it handled great!, I felt fine with the stock gears. Those were mostly hard dirt, but really technical. White rock is a really REALLY loose rocky, steep as hell trail, and I was slamming up and down, and all over, and it went BOOM!!!! eh, whatever... I drove it home, so all is well.

yea. no tow truck expense. lol. how much lift are you running to get 35s? what gears are you going to get when you get the money?

I think the front is at about 4.5". I'm going to (at some point) lift it another inch or so to level it, and stay that way under the weight of a winch. the rear is about 5.5 I think. I'm planning on 4.88's. maybe 4.56's, but from what I hear, 4.88's are best.

I would suggest 4.88. I'm runnin 4.56 and will be swapping in a front 44 to run 5.13.

Also one would think that the driver shaft would be made out of thicker metal.

yeah, no kidding! I was surprised how thin the wall was!

I have a 5spd, so my trans doesn't "slam" unless I make it... but yeah, 3K drop isn't a good idea when you're already rolling the opposite direction.... Boom! you must've been on concrete, and rolling pretty fast backwards?

in what way?

...just out of curiousity

I too have 3.07's and a 5speed.I have 34x10.50 swampers and it's not really that bad on the road.Once you put it into 4low in the dirt it's not that bad either.
I don't daily drive on the meats with that gearing because gas mileage SUCKS!
I have a set of stock size bfg a/t's I dd on....

I'm sitting at 5.5" and if I had to do it over again I would've went with 4.5 and proper bumpstops for my 34's(I'm trimmed like you)

Mosephus said:
If that was pointed to me.....I really like the height and tire size. Pretty much perfect.

ah, gotcha... Yeah, it works really well... Like I think I said, I need to level it out, and hammer a bit more, but I like the way it works. I REALLY need to strengthen the rearend... I went wheeling expecting to break something... and I did.

Thanks for the positive comments guys! I hope to get those pics soon!

outlander said:
I too have 3.07's and a 5speed.I have 34x10.50 swampers and it's not really that bad on the road.Once you put it into 4low in the dirt it's not that bad either.
I don't daily drive on the meats with that gearing because gas mileage SUCKS!
I have a set of stock size bfg a/t's I dd on....

well said. I have the same thoughts. right down to the smaller tires. (except mine are 31's...) question...: did you take the difference of tire size into account when you calculated your mileage? I'm not sure how off the 34's make your speedo, but I"m willing to bet it's around 30-40% different... meaning that (if you didn't calculate the difference...) your mileage is WAY better than you think...

tayman said:
well said. I have the same thoughts. right down to the smaller tires. (except mine are 31's...) question...: did you take the difference of tire size into account when you calculated your mileage? I'm not sure how off the 34's make your speedo, but I"m willing to bet it's around 30-40% different... meaning that (if you didn't calculate the difference...) your mileage is WAY better than you think...

26%. Looks good. I'm jumping up to 35's on my 4.5" soon.

Wow, stock gears, which means, stock axles?? I'm surprised the driveshaft was the first thing to break, but then again, you're putting a ton of extra strain on everything in front of the differential. Hope you carry spares. 35's should at least have 4.56's if not 4.88's.

yep, stock axles too... Personally, I expected the D35 to break first...

I heard a really loud "BOOM" and I could've sworn the axle broke, but a drive shaft is nice and easy...

I don't carry any spare shafts, but I DO have another set of stock axles here in the back yard, and friends with flatbed trailers... Like I said before, the plan is the 8.8 with probably 4.88's, and at least a rear locker.

Sunday's trip was a just for the hell of it, see how it wheels (which really isn't too bad), and screw around, see what breaks, and how hard I can push before something does... It was very educational for me (and fun).

Back