• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Re-wiring the turn signal switch for seperate indicators

Matt_West

NAXJA Forum User
Having just gone through 23 pages of search results I am going to try and make this thread easy to find. :doh:

Has anyone re-wired their turn signal switch from a combined red stop & turn indicators to separate red & amber signals?

Mine XJ is a 1987 Wagoneer / Waggy. I am installing modified Thor guards / tail lights. The rear turn signals / indicators that I am replacing are of the single color variety. Meaning I only have red lights that function as both stop and turn signals.

Most people use a trailer adapter to go from separate turn / stop indicators to single color / combined stop / turn indicators.

I would like to convert my factory wiring from the single color combined indicator variety to the traditional orange or amber turn signals with red brake lights / running lights.

My suspicion is that the wiring harness is the same and that the turn signal stalk / multifunction switch is wired differently.

I suppose you find the wires that lead to the rear two bottom lamps and isolate them. Now you find the wires that lead to the front turn signal lamps. Now tie the corresponding wires together. All these wires should be very close to the steering column. This is assuming of course that the two brake/signal lamps in the rear are NOT tied together at the lamp assembly, in this case you would have to run dedicated wire from the rear of the rig to the inside where you would make your connection.

Isn't their some converter you buy to do this. I have seen threads about quarter guards that show this item. I think it is made by Hoppy and is installed on some vehicles in order to hook up trailer wiring. Hope this helps.

rmm727 said:
Isn't their some converter you buy to do this. I have seen threads about quarter guards that show this item. I think it is made by Hoppy and is installed on some vehicles in order to hook up trailer wiring. Hope this helps.

Yes, it called a third brake light logic module. JC Whitney sells them.

rmm727 said:
He actually wants the opposite, he's got a waggy. And also the Hoppy converters aren't any good for the stop/tail/turn convertions for future refrence. You'll have to use a Reese or another quality converter.

Back