• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

NEED SOME HELP WITH REAR AXLE? 1998 XJ

curbdog17

NAXJA Forum User
I WANT TO BE SURE WHAT AXLE I HAVE, I SEE THERE IS THE CHRYSLER STAR IN THE CASTING ON THIS AND BELIVE IT IS A 8.25 29 SPLINE. ALSO DOES ANY ONE KNOW IF I COULD CLEAR 35S WITH A RC 4.5 INCH LIFT AND ALOT OF FENDER TRIMMING? HAS ANY ONE DONE THIS? THIS IS ON A 1998 XJ.

It should be a 29 spline 8.25.
Yes you can, but its a lot of cutting and not just to the fenders, you also should modify the inner fender. Youll still want some really long bump stops too.

Ive seen a xj on 4.5 w/ 35s that would out flex my XJ at 7.5" and 35s which is no small feet. Guy had dont a lot of fab work.

thanks this is helpful info. just gotta sell some more crap on ebay and i will get the lift and start cutting.

minespath said:
i have a 97 xj and dont know what the rear is .what do i look for to see if its a 8.25

i found that chrysler star in the casting on my rear axle it was near the drive shaft, there were numbers on it to but very hard to read, i think i read that the only 97 and up xj's with a dana 35 are rear ABS. but dont quote me on that.

wit that kit you might want to get a 1.5 spacer for the front and go with adj arms. or drop brackets

curbdog17 said:
i found that chrysler star in the casting on my rear axle it was near the drive shaft, there were numbers on it to but very hard to read, i think i read that the only 97 and up xj's with a dana 35 are rear ABS. but dont quote me on that.

I had a 2000 XJ with the Dana 35 rear without ABS.

do you get through the mud good with the 32s? im worried about the clearance of my axles dragging in the mud. i want as much clearance as i can get but i dont want to over do it. i plan to ride in the dunes alot as well as mud running and dont want tobe too top heavy when im playing in the sand. ice seen to many trucks go ass over head up in the dunes and dont wanna be one of those guys.

like i said dont quote me on it. do you know what the difference is when you look at the dana 35 and the 8.25?

LOOK FOR THE LIP IF IT HAS THAT THEN IT IS A 8.25 IF IT DOESN'T HAVE THE LIP OR CAPS LOCK YOU ARE SOL 35S ARE DO-ABLE ON AN 8.25 IF YOU ARE EASY ON THE SKINNY PEDAL DONT 4GET TO USE THE SEARCH TOOL.

Cheese-n-Rice, sheeple...

For the original poster: you've already ID'd it as a C8.25 because of the most obvious hint - the Chrysler pentastar. Since it's a 97+ it has 29-spline axleshafts; those changed over in late 96 model year.

For those of you that still don't know the difference, pictures are worth 1000 words. http://www.yuccaman.com/jeep/history.html#axles

Jim www.yuccaman.com

(oh yeah, for the original poster, your CAPS LOCK appears to be stuck on.)

Yucca-Man said:
Cheese-n-Rice, sheeple...

For the original poster: you've already ID'd it as a C8.25 because of the most obvious hint - the Chrysler pentastar. Since it's a 97+ it has 29-spline axleshafts; those changed over in late 96 model year.

For those of you that still don't know the difference, pictures are worth 1000 words. http://www.yuccaman.com/jeep/history.html#axles

Jim www.yuccaman.com

(oh yeah, for the original poster, your CAPS LOCK appears to be stuck on.)
THANKS FOR PIONTING THAT OUT I JUST WANTED TO MAKE SURE THAT THE STAR I FOUND WAS NOT USED ON ALL AXLE PUT ON ANY CHRYSLER AUTO.

Back