• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Re-designing the dash for navigation

H8PVMT

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
Once I get my door locks fixed I want to spruce up the interior, I have a 96 sport and would really like to add a Nav to the center of the dash, preferably below (or in place of) the air/heat controls

1) how much of a PITA would it be to move the air/heat controls up to where the stock stereo is?

2) has anyone done this before....I figure moving that stuff up creates a big enough gap for a decent screen and also figure out some kind of steel plate to cover it when not in use (sans doors)

TIA

Doug

Pics would help if this has been done before

H8PVMT said:
Pics would help if this has been done before
i dont have pics with the screen in but the mount is still there, the nav unit was stolen. i'll go snap a pic and you can see how i did it.

that would be awesome.....I'm still aways off on doing this i.e. door locks busted but it's something I really want to do, my 93 stock radio falls out and the one speaker that works is failing and according to the wife

it's upgrade time (so the baby can listen to Rod Stewarts lullabye's):dunno:

and I always get lost

dash1.jpg

i moved the radio and heater controls up as far as they would go, pulled out the center AC vent and covered it with a 1/16" aluminum plate, then bent another piece of 1/16" aluminum into sort of a C shape, and angled it to give the screen about a 30° angle. worked great till it was stolen ;)

the screen i used was a generic 7.5" monitor, the type normally put into headrests. my nav unit was a seperate box under the dash on the pass side, fed into AV1 input on the screen. the best part was i put a power inverter under the back seat and ran a ps2 into AV2 :D

i bought another screen to slap back in there but i dont have the nav unit anymore so theres really no point to it, i havent put it back in.

dont mind the rest of the mangled dash, that's another work in progress. i can give you more info if you need it.

I have abandoned my AC for a compressor so removing the vents isn't an issue, if you have a complete write up, or a more detailed descrip you can send it to

[email protected]

doug

i didnt do a writeup on it this was 3 years ago now lol. if i have time later i will try to explain the mounting in more detail and maybe pull the mount out and show you the bracket, ive been meaning to do that anyway to change some things around. the only problem i had was the wires from the radio interfereing with the movement of the heater controls. once you move it up like that there isnt much room left for the wires and such, especially if you are running 2 sets of RCAs out for the speakers and another set for the subs, then the RCAs in for the audio from the nav unit and the PS2.

Someone else did a writeup recently removing the center vent and installing a small gps there. It was not that long ago and a search should find it.

what I was planning is removing the stereo completely and putting the air controls in it's place, then gettting a stereo/gps screen and putting it below the air controls

ehall said:
Not as big as some of the other options above but my plan is to use a single in-dash stereo/GPS head unit, probably the JVC KD-NX5000 or something similar

h105KDNX500-o_dg-1p.jpg

3.5" should be big enough in the stock stereo location

this was my other option, just trying to figure out the best way to install/protect it from getting lifted

H8PVMT said:
this was my other option, just trying to figure out the best way to install/protect it from getting lifted
i had one of those in my ricer nissan before i sold the car. picture quality is not as good as in that image, and its hard to see a 3 inch screen while trying to drive. just my oppinion tho.

Back