• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

OEM wheel fitment

AFSOC XJ

NAXJA Forum User
Has anyone ever tried to use OEM wheels from a Mazda Tribute, Ford Escape or Ranger on their XJ? My research shows that these examples are 5 on 4.5 and the backspacing looks like it's within range. There is only so much that specs and measurements can tell you, I'd like to hear from somebody who has done this. Seems like this might be source of 16" rims for anyone who prefers 16" tire selections on their Cherokee.

I've seen alot of OEM 15" Ranger/Explorer wheels on XJ's.

I have Explorer 16's on mine, the centers had to rounded out a tad bit more to fit on, but no other issues. The backspacing on the Tribute may place the wheel too far in and make it rub on the LCA's, I don't know the BS on them but I believe they are FWD.

Some cherokee's came factory with 16's why not just ues those?
No reason not to. I really like the 16" Icons. I just want to see what kind of tasteful option is out there. I would like to see some pictures of some XJs wearing Liberty wheels too. I currently run Saw Blades and have nothing against them. Since I am close to buying tires, I wouldn't mind going to a little different look for wheels (via Craigslist), as long as it is subtle and tasteful.

I think the stang wheels have a little more backspace, but I've seen Grands with Cobra wheels and spacers to fit. I assume the smaller/narrower rims would have backspacing similar to the XJs.

91Woody said:
I have Explorer 16's on mine, the centers had to rounded out a tad bit more to fit on, but no other issues. The backspacing on the Tribute may place the wheel too far in and make it rub on the LCA's, I don't know the BS on them but I believe they are FWD.
Dang I was gonna say the same thing! gotta open up that center at little to fit the hub.

Personally these are my favorite 16s:
IMG_2524.jpg

IMG_2265.jpg

libby284.jpg

They are the silverstars from the 98 5.9s, 00 Freedoms, 01 60th A.E.'s, and TJ with 16" package. Pretty rare, and also the cleanest looking IMO.

Back