• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

unibody cracking

89RockHeep

NAXJA Forum User
so, i ran a trail in my jeep today(definetly not my first wheeler, but my first jeep)it did way better then i thought it would, only needed a tug once, but i was wondering what were the limits to the unibody. i plan on boxing the "frame' of it with 1/4 in front to back but, im not doing it for a little while. As of right now, the jeep sits stock on some 235/7515 tires. so its not like im doing anything extreme right now, just looking for some opinions on how far i can take it before i need to worry about damaging it.

I agree on the logging road, but try some opf your local ORV parks, most have trails that are stock Jeep friendly....

Or drive to you nearest beach...

I live 3 minutes from one!!!

You will have beat the snot out it to crack the unibody. (assuming you leave the doors on) I only have rock rails, and a front tow plate to stiffen the body and have been beating the hell out of it for nine years.

That said, I have a crack over the hump under the back seat. The upper and lower corners of the body around the hatch are separating, and I have a crack in the rear wheel well where the rear seat attachs.

I have to agree ... if you want to keep cracks from forming stay on the forestry roads (or your equivilant). I have repaired severe cracks to my tunnel right around the e-brake handle and under the rear seats. Just had my buddy fill with welds and she's back in the bush.

I push my XJ pretty hard but not extreme like the rock crawlers. I guess mostly level 3 and 4 trails and the body is somewhat beat, leaks in several places and is covered in what we call BC Pin-striping up here.

I covered my BC pinstriping (as well as a rocky moutain ripple) with 1/4 inch hockeyboards and rivets!!! now they take the abuse. I have had some cracking at the rear of the frame rails where a poorly designed trailer hitch once was. Plan to repair it in the next couple days and add a bigger better weight distributing hitch. I have aldso had cracks in the top corners of the body near the hatch are, first noticed I had some pretty good water leaks. Some plans for the future are frame stiffeners and sliders (detourusa I'm a big fan) and hopefullly a full belly skid.

Back