• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

More problems

Jeepguy91

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
Well i am getting the xj ready to be on the road as a dd. Went and took it for a drive yesterday around the block and everything was fine until i got back home. When i got out i noticed that the driver front wheel was smoking. Think that the caliper is holding the brake pads against the rotor. Do you guys think i would need to get new calipers or do you think something else is wrong? The pads and rotors both look good with no grooves or anything in the rotor.

Thanks,
Ben

Jeepguy91 said:
The pads and rotors both look good with no grooves or anything in

They won't for long. Jack it up and see if you can spin the wheel (Vehicle in 2wd, park or emergency brake on to keep it from rolling.)

For the most part if the piston compresses in with your c-clamp, its likely okay. As the guy above said, remove the bolts and sliders and lubricate. I use anti-sieze.

it's not worth guessing-- if the brakes were on long enough to start smoking, you have overheated the fluid, so you'll want to bleed out the old stuff. As the caliper AND hose are rubber, you will want to replace them. Chances are about 50/50 on the caliper slides causing the original problem vs. the hose or caliper failing, but now you have a need to fix all of them anyway. If it's gonna be a DD, you don't want to skimp or guess, as your life and those around you are at stake.

89CherokeePioneer said:
For the most part if the piston compresses in with your c-clamp, its likely okay.

Sometimes a sticky caliper will only stick after the brakes have been used long enough to heat the caliper sufficiently......

I had a yj with a intermitten sticky caliper once.Around town or in situations where I wasn't using the brakes that hard it was fine.When I had to really use them like slowing down for an idiot or freeway on-ramp the caliper would freeze and not release until the brakes cooled.

Well the pads and rotors are in good condition. Would you guys recommend getting new calipers and hoses and then going from there?

I would recommend new hoses and calipers, and I would bet the hoses are the culprit. When they get old they swell and act like a check valve not allowing enough pressure to the caliper and not allowing the caliper to open sufficiently after the pressure is released. New hoses are fairly cheap for the XJ.

Replace your rear one as well and re-bleed the rears starting at the pass. side.

Back