• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Fan Clutch

8Mud

NAXJA Forum User
Anybody know offhand the difference between the pre 90 fan clutch and the post 90 fan clutch. I need a fan clutch in my 96 and rarely drive my 88 anymore (gas prices) which has a new fan clutch.

8Mud said:
Anybody know offhand the difference between the pre 90 fan clutch and the post 90 fan clutch. I need a fan clutch in my 96 and rarely drive my 88 anymore (gas prices) which has a new fan clutch.

Come on guys somebody has to have clue. Don't let me try to swap over the fan clutch and find out the hard way why the part numbers are different. :)

badron said:
Don't the 88 and 96 spin in different directions?
My 88 and my 96 have the same fan as far as I can tell, the pitch of the blades is the same. Something I'll have to check out closer. I'll check out the direction of rotation, something I assumed was the same (because of the, what appear to be, identical fan blades), but assumptions have bitten me in the rear before.

I checked two sources,1-had same part # for all years of the 4.0,1-had different #,s -87>93 and 94>01 all were reverse rotation
I have a 87 and a 96,I think I replaced them both at one time or another and there was a difference in the height between the two,something like 1/4"
But dont remember which was which--

Wayne

Did a check at NAPA on line -listed same # TEM 272318 for both 87 and 96--

Last edited:
Wayne Sihler said:
I checked two sources,1-had same part # for all years of the 4.0,1-had different #,s -87>93 and 94>01 all were reverse rotation
I have a 87 and a 96,I think I replaced them both at one time or another and there was a difference in the height between the two,something like 1/4"
But dont remember which was which--

Wayne

Did a check at NAPA on line -listed same # TEM 272318 for both 87 and 96--

I was checking the numbers in the Jeep parts CD and my local supplier (Crown) and found different numbers for an 88 and a 96, I wasn't really sure whether it was just a number change or an actual difference. The NAPA numbers being the same is encouraging. I have to repair (pull) the radiator, replace the balancer seal and want to replace the fan clutch at the same time ( both a whole lot easier with the shroud and radiator out of the way), maybe change the power steering fluid and only have the Jeep out of service for a day. I doubt I have much time for many trial any error type experiments. The last clutch I replaced in my 88 had a little larger diameter and was a bit thicker, but fit just fine. The 96 seems to have a bit more room, likely a slightly thinner radiator. Spring XJ repair is worse than spring cleaning, i'm hardly half way down my "to do list" on the XJ and every time it's out of service the wife complains. That strange screeching sound coming from the XJ. is from my wife complaining. :)

Thanx, Chuck

Last edited:
Back