• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

valve stem

rifle6

NAXJA Forum User
just got the new meat on the new black steelies

put one on and noticed the stem, it is about 2 freaking inches long.

is it possible to replace the stem WITHOUT a tire machine? ( like pull the long one out and put a new one in from the outside) tire deflated of course.

anyone try it? work, yes/ no

or am i just being picky? will it cause probles on the trail?

I could be wrong but as far as i know, you cant install a valve stem from the outside... has to be done from the inside.

yes, ive been doing tires for 6 years. there is no way to do it from outside.
if it is a wide enough rim then you migh tbe able to air down to nothing with the jeep jacked up and break a bead and pull it out yourself and install a new one

Get the shorty valve stems (most tire shops have them for like car wheels), best thing I ever did. Since I swapped I havent broken or ripped any out.
Who ever mounted them should swap them out for you for free.

Ask for a TR-412 stem. These are the 7/8" short stems used with lawn and garden equipment and ATV's.

Yes you can install valve stems without breaking your tire loose. You will need the tool however. It is a cable that screws to the threaded end of the valve stem. You rip out the old one, lube up the new one and shove it all the way Threw and then pull it back threw with the cable.

here is one type of the tool needed. http://4x4icon.com/offroad/air/valve_stem_fishing_tool.htm

It is way better to bust the bead and do it right, it's not worth having a torn valve stem and not know it. This tool makes it real easy with just the bead busted loose becouse you don't need to try and shove your hand inside.

Last edited:
There are a several tools to do the job without breaking the bead, I've seen people use them on the trail - but have never managed to find one for sale or any reference to it online. Its always a "oh, my dad bought this in 1952..".

I still have to bust the bead to do it - but if I ever see one of those tools available for sale I might just get friction burns ripping my amex out as fast as will happen.

;)

good as they should have

Back