• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

'99 Emergency AC bypass

SweetWilliam

NAXJA Forum User
I arrived at Silver Lake Dunes and heard a bad sound under my hood. Turns out it was my AC going out. Just freak'n great, Friday night, want to ride Sat. (didn't happen) but I gotta get home Sun.

After the worst of my hangover was gone I decided to see if you can run a shorter belt and bypass the AC right there on the dunes. Ripped the belt off and found a route. Had to remove the stamped steal bracket around the alternator (why is it there?) because it would rub. The fan runs the wrong way, but the water pump is right. Pulled the stock belt tight, marked it, measured with tape, came up with 70 inches.

Long story about actually finding the belt, but I now have about 300 miles on this set up and as long as I don't stop for more than a couple of minutes, it works fine.

So there is no bypass pulley for the '99 from what I have found?

the is most defintely a bypass pulley for the '99. its exactly the same as every other year's bypass pulley and bracket. bolts into the 4 holes on the mount bracket (with shorter bolts) and just sits there.

I ran the bypass pulley on my '92 cherokee and it did not line the the belt up properly with the idler pulley. This causes the belt to stick out behind the idler puller and the rough back edge of the pulley will wear a grove and eventually shred the belt. It happened to me on the trail. Luckily I was able to finish the day with half a belt that worked just fine. I went to the auto parts store and picked up a replacement and it was doing the same thing. Forced me to bite the bullet and pay for a new ac compressor. Just make sure your belt lines up properly as it comes off the bypass pulley. Randy

Back