• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

DANA 44 VS. 8.25 CHR.

skipo

NAXJA Forum User
What exactly would be the weak vs. strong points between the two?(d44 or 8.25)
I currently have a d35 and am looking to upgrade. I owned a street rod/hot rod shop in the past, but am new to the xj's and am looking for some pointers.
I own a housing jig and am not above changing housing ends, if thats the problem(c-clips)
I am still hung on the "time is money "thing and am looking for the easiest up grade. I have not been able to find a d44 out of an xj in my area, and frankly am tired of looking, any help would be appreciated.

:cheers: :cheers: Thanks in advance for any help!!!!!!

44 is semifloating not c-clip, 30spline not 29, the 44 housing is stronger, 44 has bigger drums.

first off, what are you gonna be running with this rear end?

there's pros and cons of course, but if you're only gonna be running 33s or possibly even 35s, a 29 spline 8.25 may be more then enough.

gregmondro said:
first off, what are you gonna be running with this rear end?

there's pros and cons of course, but if you're only gonna be running 33s or possibly even 35s, a 29 spline 8.25 may be more then enough.

Assuming 4.56's are deep enough for 35's. I'm running 4.56 now with 32's and if I go to 35's I will definately be gearing deeper, which would require a new rear axle.

Depends

I'm running 4.56s on my XJ with 35s. The power is certainly there, but then again, I haven't rode in a XJ with 35s and 4.88s.

I've been hearing rumors someone is making 4.88's for the 8.25. I'd like to know who so I could look into 'em. That would solve many a problem for me.

Use the search feature. This has been covered mucho times

Other than the gearing issue I would not sweat running an 8.25 with 35s as long as it was a 29 spline unit. The 8.25 has larger axle tubes than a D44 as well.

Yep, for me 4.56s and 35s is pretty much where I want to be. No problems daily driving, on the freeway however the RPMs are already higher then i'd like unless you wanna drive 65 everywhere. I imagine 4.88s would only decrease the highway mileage more then it is already.

Brady's XJ said:
I've been hearing rumors someone is making 4.88's for the 8.25. I'd like to know who so I could look into 'em. That would solve many a problem for me.

I heard the same rumor from a randy's R&P dealer. I've heard it was a whole new carrier to fit the 4.88's which makes sense. I haven't heard much else or really looked into it, but that would be sweet to have 4.88's. One of the main reasons I am putting 1-tons under my XJ next year is because of gearing limitations of the 8.25.

I'm running a 29 spl. 8.25 w/ a Detroit locker and 35's and I feel it's okay. Granted, I haven't driven a rig with 4.88's, but I like it and it works fine.

By time I bought all the stuff for mine (axle, gears, locker, ZJ disc brakes), I think I was still a few bill's cheaper then doing a D44. Granted, the 8.25 I picked up had a some bad carrier bearings, it was still only $100, beats the $400 or more I've seen some XJ D44's going for.

Zice said:
isnt XJ_ranger running 5.13s and 33s? :shiver:< thats to driving down the highways at 50 mph at like 5 grand :D

I had a 91 Toyota with 5.29s and 33s. Thats the gears it had to have to keep the little 4 cylinder safe to drive on the roads lol.

railroadjeep said:
I'm running a 29 spl. 8.25 w/ a Detroit locker and 35's and I feel it's okay. Granted, I haven't driven a rig with 4.88's, but I like it and it works fine.

By time I bought all the stuff for mine (axle, gears, locker, ZJ disc brakes), I think I was still a few bill's cheaper then doing a D44. Granted, the 8.25 I picked up had a some bad carrier bearings, it was still only $100, beats the $400 or more I've seen some XJ D44's going for.

I know this thread is about a dana 44 vs a 8.25, but if you are planning on running disc brakes, then why not get a easily attainable and strong Ford 8.8 from a 95'+ Explorer/Mountaineer?

railroadjeep said:

paid $86 for a XJ dana 44 at "pull-a-part" spent about 3 hours pulling it out of a rusty ass '88 pioneer with a socket set, a hacksaw, and a BFH.

they rang us up for a axle ($69) + drums($6x2) + $5 core (dunno why)

-Tim

Big Red said:
I know this thread is about a dana 44 vs a 8.25, but if you are planning on running disc brakes, then why not get a easily attainable and strong Ford 8.8 from a 95'+ Explorer/Mountaineer?

You read this part right?

railroadjeep said:
I'm running a 29 spl. 8.25 w/ a Detroit locker and 35's and I feel it's okay.

The 8.25 was bolt in, the 8.8 was not. Didn't have a welder at the time, so the spring perch's and dealing with the tube welds were out of my range at the time too.

jeepnuts311 said:
paid $86 for a XJ dana 44 at "pull-a-part"

Awsome, I came up empty handed at the local PAP yards. The people that had em' wanted way too much for em. $100 for a 8.25 that was already out of the rig looked good to me.

So far I have had no issue's running the 29 spline Chrysler 8.25. For my situation, it was what I felt I needed and came at a decent price. If I go larger with tires or get more aggresive, I'll go with a Dana 60, till then I think the 8.25 works out just fine.

Back