• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

99 XJ Wheel Swap

mrpopo573

NAXJA Forum User
Greetings Guys!

My families company recently scored a 99 XJ and have already started down the path of going from stock to...well..not.

My question is, what other Jeep wheels can I swap instead of the basic painted steelies it has now? I've heard Grand Cherokee Wheels have a different backspacing.I want to go with something 16-17 inch. The reason I'm asking is because take offs are so easy for us to come by and I would like to dress it up a little bit.

Thank you for your help!

mrpopo573 said:
Greetings Guys!

My families company recently scored a 99 XJ and have already started down the path of going from stock to...well..not.

My question is, what other Jeep wheels can I swap instead of the basic painted steelies it has now? I've heard Grand Cherokee Wheels have a different backspacing.I want to go with something 16-17 inch. The reason I'm asking is because take offs are so easy for us to come by and I would like to dress it up a little bit.

Thank you for your help!

I've see black steel wheels (15x8) for as low as $39.

I got alloys for $99 each.

Not a direct answer to your question, but something you might want to consider.

Any wheels from the Grand Cherokees (93-98) Or any Wheel that came o na regular Cherokee, (84-01) Or any wrangler from (87-i htink 06) All of them have 5x4.5 lug pattern. I like the Jeep five hole mags, or the aluminum wheels that came on the 98 GC Limiteds, or Rubicon wheels are pretty cool (lots of :NAXJA: members have them on their rigs). Have fun customizing :party:

PS welcome to NAXJA (and my fellow Washingtonian)

Last edited:
Thank you for the info. I shall look into something from those years. I do like the rubicon TJ Wheels, I'll just keep an eye out for the right ones.

Oh, and thanks for the welcome. Yes, your fellow June=winter washingtonian . If I had time, the Jeep would be in the woods enjoying all the mud.

mrpopo573 said:
Oh, and thanks for the welcome. Yes, your fellow June=winter washingtonian .

yeah what the hell is this??? how about at least 70 and sunny :huh:But, its WA so oh well Hasta, i guess were fortunate not t ohave tornados and things like that.

Alot of the muscle car and early emissions era mid-sized Mopars also used the 5x4.5" bolt pattern and have slightly more offset that what our truck have. I think you should be able to find them in anything from 14x5-15x8 in stock sizes plus you should be able to find aftermarket ones that are larger.

I actually might have some of those wheels lying around. My families company deals with muscle cars (www.houstonmotorspt.com)

I think the Rubicon wheels will be the ones to search for. The jeep does now have brand new ATRs on it, but it needs a little more appeal than the 15's provide and I'm not ever going to use the Jeep hard enough to warrant putting 31+ tires on it. Plus the gas mileage is excellent for an SUV.
( I have access to a few Japanese commuters so the Jeep is pure toy, which is nice) Which makes me want 31+ anyways. lol.

Ahh the joy of Modding. Thanks for the info again guys.

As far as take-offs, you're choices are going to be limited.
The Wrangler Rubicon wheels are 16". All the other wrangler wheels are 15"
I "THINK" all the grand cherokee wheels that have the right bolt pattern are 15"
The later Liberty wheels are all 16" and 17"(as of 2007 anyway)but I don't know about the bolt pattern.

Back