• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Painting The Hood

There's pics of Hammered's and someone else's rigs, I think in one of the hood vent threads. I had the same thought a while back, and I have to say, they look good.

Boo Ya

578b3d8d.jpg

df3127d3.jpg

8c3507c1.jpg

8438efc3.jpg

0e64cf2c.jpg

Hey Hammered what kind of paint did use. How does it hold up with all the heat my hood gets hot as hell when i am driving.

Its Rustoleum "professional" its in a silver can with a hard hat. This hood is actually a spare hood than my original so I wasnt going for show quality. The hood was from a Junk yard and had some clear coat flaking so I decided to do this. I had imagined it long before hand, but this hood was a test for the hood vents and the paint. I'm real happy with the results.

If your not far from a Junk yard / and have space to store one, I'd say get a spare hood (any 92+ hood will fit I believe) then you can get creative without the fear of ruining your stock hood.

So... WHERE ARE YOU IN PA??

I painted the center section of mine:

IMG_3433.jpg

Its kinda hard to see in this pic, but its the best I could find right now.

As mentioned above, you could get a spare hood and try it on and IIRC any XJ hood will work (84-01). I think they are all the same---only the fenders and header panel changed in 97 not the hood.

I was just wondering if one could get vinyl that wide. I haven't bought any in years, and when I did it was mostly smaller bits to do my SCCA numbers and whatnot. What's retail on that stuff these days?

Are you over on JU? It occurs to me I've seen a pic of that jeep before.

What type of vents are those they look better then mine. Also what type of paint flat or semi-gloss. I am over in easton pa

hubs97xj said:
I was just wondering if one could get vinyl that wide. I haven't bought any in years, and when I did it was mostly smaller bits to do my SCCA numbers and whatnot. What's retail on that stuff these days?

Are you over on JU? It occurs to me I've seen a pic of that jeep before.

Yep, I occasionally surf JU. I sell the large sheets of matte black to do the hoods for $90.00

Hammered said:
Its Rustoleum "professional" its in a silver can with a hard hat. This hood is actually a spare hood than my original so I wasnt going for show quality. The hood was from a Junk yard and had some clear coat flaking so I decided to do this. I had imagined it long before hand, but this hood was a test for the hood vents and the paint. I'm real happy with the results.

If your not far from a Junk yard / and have space to store one, I'd say get a spare hood (any 92+ hood will fit I believe) then you can get creative without the fear of ruining your stock hood.

So... WHERE ARE YOU IN PA??

87+

Back