• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tires: should I take this deal?

tayman

NAXJA Forum User
from what I heard the Mickey's suck in snow and mud, but living where you do that might not be an issue! lol Personally I don't like the BFG AT's but for that price it might not be bad, but you get the wheels with the other ones so you don't have to get them mounted up.

TAKE THE CLAWS

Keep in mind those are the OLD BFG's and they are not very good. I had an older set and got rid of the quickly.
That being said, I personally don't like directional tires, but I'd run the claws before the BFG's....even mounted backwards ;)

those BFG a/t's are the old style. they are probley weather cracked. the claws looks alot better shape.

91Woody said:
Keep in mind those are the OLD BFG's and they are not very good. I had an older set and got rid of the quickly.
That being said, I personally don't like directional tires, but I'd run the claws before the BFG's....even mounted backwards ;)
beat me to it

I had claws on my Cherokee, and they were the worst tires I've ever used. They weren't good in anything but sand, and they weren't good at all for road use. Get some 35's though.

How are you geared? 4.56 or deeper and I'd do the claws. 4.10 or less, go with the BFG's, or maybe find some 31's.

Cal, I'm still stock, but I"m planning on doing an 8.8 with probably 4.88's... whether I do the 33's or 35's...

I take it you guys don't think the cuts in the claws will be a big deal? I really like the fact that they're mounted... though I can do it myself for free... (R.O.P. Shop) and there's a full size, brand friggin new spare...

I guess my biggest issue then is gearing? I'd need to take care of that soon... sooner than later...

The cuts wont be a big deal, but 3.55's and 35's will be like towing a full size truck behind your XJ all day. Figure every time you stop and start, its going to have the equiv wear and strain as driving to lake tahoe and back; and you'll get about 8 mpg around town, if that.

If you don't already have the money, parts and install date for the gears, save your poor little jeep and do the 33's.

see the nice thing here, is that I don't have to pay enyine to install my gears..... I know multiple people that will do them for me or show me how to do them. only issue is... buying gears... and the 8.8...

Yeah, I know that stock gears (actually 3.07's!!!) are going to suck monkey balls...which is why a re-gear will come VERY soon!

Assuming this guy still has them, it's looking like I'm gonna get the claws... cause I have a feeling I'd break the D35 on 33's anyway...

Also, a question that will save me hours of searching... does anybody know if there is a difference in the ring and pinion between the different 8.8's?

Last edited:
get the claws for sure, i wish i could find a deal like that close to me:smsoap:

Last edited:
CRAP!!! I just called the guy, and he sold 'em... time to look for another deal cause apparently those 33's are junk.

Anyone near me selling tires? I'm looking!

I forgot an axle rebuild kit in my swap price... Found this one for $75 shipped...

Last edited:
tayman said:
I'm sure you'd be better off calling up a NAXJA vendor and getting a price on everything as a package deal rather than trying to peice it together of of ebay.

Also regaurding your links above; two are for the 8.8 and one if for the D35... you won't need gears for a D35 if you're swaping in an 8.8. :rtm:
Heck, don't even look at prices for the D35, its not worth it.

Back