• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

light bar power

rifle6

NAXJA Forum User
now that the XJ is almost compleat i have a question about light bar power supply.
i will be running 5 hellas on top of the rack,

is there enough power in the overhead console,(compass, temp)?
i was thinking , just drill a small hole in the top middle and run power to the lights with a toggle up there by the sunglass compartment.

thoughts?

i have 4 100w halagens on my jeep and i had to run my primary off my battery bc when that were al on they almost melted the line i was spliced into. im grounded to the seatbelt bolt, runnin 2 switches *inners and outters* and the main power rigth off the side post or the battery. but thats just me

Definitely not a good idea. You will overload those circuits and possibly short out the compass/temp instrament.

There's no way the 22 ga overhead console wiring can handle Hellas, you will have a fire. Go directly to the battery.

I run 5 150 watt lights up top on my cherokee, it took me a couple hours to build the wiring harness and another couple to install it. I have 5 wires all to gether that run from my relay base under the hood thru the firewall under the driverside panneling up the "B" pilar and finally thru the roof (with multipull layers of gromets and water proofing). Two of thous wires are 12 gauge common grounds split 3 and 2 the other three are 14 gauge wire slpit 2,2, and 1. That is the minimal amount of wiring I belive I would run even for your hellas, are they H3 55's? or are they 85's?

Run a relay for each pair or so of lights, the switch turns on the relay, the realy then turns on the lights.

It requires more wire, but it is the safest way to go.

Do a search on-line to find out how to wire a relay....

poorboy_616 said:
Run a relay for each pair or so of lights, the switch turns on the relay, the realy then turns on the lights.

It requires more wire, but it is the safest way to go.

Do a search on-line to find out how to wire a relay....

x2

ALL of auxilliary exterior lighting is on relays, I NEVER run staight thru the switch....

I currently do not have any extra lighting on my XJ, but there was on my Mazda and still is on the van (stock fog lamp relay and wiring, but aftermarket lamps).

poorboy_616 said:
ALL of auxilliary exterior lighting is on relays, I NEVER run staight thru the switch....

I currently do not have any extra lighting on my XJ, but there was on my Mazda and still is on the van (stock fog lamp relay and wiring, but aftermarket lamps).

I agree but I have recently just purchased some hid aux lights and they do not say to use a realy but rather just wire them straight up. I would run a relay on anything drawing too many amps for the wire in question. Hids draw most current at start up then drop down considerably(so I hear). the hallas should draw a bit more then an hid so yes rellay it up.

They make 60 amp switches (DC) and higher but they are hard to find and princely. Amp for amp a switch is just as good as a relay.
In generally I use a relay if it will shorten the wiring by very much. The shorter load or ground wiring will lower resistance and can keep up voltage at the load/lamps. Brighter lights.
But depending were you would mount a full load bearing switch? Your wiring can be keep short and little is to be gained with a relay. For roof mounted lamps that is.
My switch is mounted in the glovebox.
A high amp relay will also let you use the stock low amp lamp switch. Keeping you dash all nice and stock looking. You can also get you bug eyes to work with your stander lights by using a relay.
Else relays are just something else to go bad (to me anyway).

Last edited:
Back