• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Anybody run a 4.0 with a 700r4 tranny?

maztheman

NAXJA Forum User
looking for first hand info for this swap. anyone running this setup? i got a golen stroker and i want a better tranny to run with this setup. i realize the 700r4 had a shotty past, but i need a new tranny and there is more options for 700r4 than AW4 out there. i saw that novak makes a conversion kit and just would like more info on the swap. thanks

Thanks, just emailed that company to see what the have to offer. i have check out a couple of other similar sites. i'm really lookin for someone that has first hand experiance with the swap. i know novak and advance adapters make the coversion kits.

What options could you possibly need? The aw4 is about as prime as it gets. There are a couple of upgrades for it - there would more but they are just unnecessary.

The AW4 has been compared rather favourably to the THM700R4. Also, the early THM700R4s were crap, and wouldn't hold up to the 2.8L V6 until bloody 1990 or so...

The THM700R4 became the 4L60, IIRC - one of those should also work for your application, but the 4L60-E is fully electronically controlled, and you'd have to move electronics over with the thing and figure out how to get them to talk to your system.

However, I'm inclined to think that the THM700R4/4L60 isn't really an upgrade over the AW4, having been inside both boxes. If you get a decent 700/4L60, the difference is nominal at best. If you really want to upgrade, look for THM350/THM400 or A727 - a Powerglide if you can find one! Those boxes are damned near bombproof, but lack overdrive (the Powerglide is a two-speed box that doesn't really even have a low gear, and will probably require a divorced transfer case mount...)

Just because there aren't a lot of upgrades available, doesn't mean that it's an "inferior" box. Look how (relatively) few upgrades there are for the AMC six - but they'll keep stomping along through anything you care to hand their way, and ask for more. Most of the internal "upgrades" would either be purpose-built parts or just happen to fit from other applications...

Back