• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Natural Gas Conversion

ScottishXJ

NAXJA Forum User
I am thinking of converting my 98 sport to a dual fuel vehicle, using cng and regular gasoline, Would off roading be to brutal for such a system? any info would help.

Just forget it! I got rid of my 2004Ford,100% CNG.Dont get me wrong,it ran great but its the refueling.It had about 70 gallons of storage but would only hold about 15 at 4000psi. I had to fill up every other day and there are only 9 places in Phoenix to fill from.

ScottishXJ said:
it is a univeral kit, I don't think that it is EPA certified.

Gotcha.. It wouldn't be legal though. Don't get me wrong. I'm not knocking the idea. I would love to convert my Jeeps to CNG. I've been researching this for YEARS, including Propane convserions. Ok, only about 4 to 5 years. ;)

Here are a few things to consider:
1) It needs to be installed by a certified installer. It's not something you can do in your garage or by a normal mechanic.
2) It costs from $8 to $10k to have it installed.
3) It wont pass smog or at least in CA it won't.
4) Manufactures only sell kits to installers.
5) The tanks have to be outside the cab.

You can convert a Jeep to Bi-Fuel in almost any country outside the US. Doesn't that SUCK??

E

Years ago my Dad had a full size GMC van powered by Propane.

It worked, but finding a station to fill it was a PITA....

Also, my local propane (Yes, I use propane for my hot water and heat) company has propane conversions on their delivery trucks. So it will work in heavy duty aplications too....

ScottishXJ said:
I am thinking of converting my 98 sport to a dual fuel vehicle, using cng and regular gasoline, Would off roading be to brutal for such a system? any info would help.

Which kit are you looking at? With CNG at $.73/gge I don't blame you for wanting to look into it. I know there's a company in Ogden that can do the install for you "For Off-Road Only". I don't know what problems you'll have with registration/safety/emmisions if you did it though. The EPA's rules are really stupid when it comes to this, and there's no legal way to do it and have a vehicle registered for use on the road.

Rob

Try looking into a Dodge Dakota conversion kit. Columbia Gas in Ohio(I saw them in Athens, S.E. Ohio) was running their whole fleet converted(of course!). They had a ton of V-6 Dakotas running dual fuel. I'm pretty sure these would have been 98-02 Durangos. Might be swapable onto a 4.0. I know, not much, but it's a place to look.

I looked into converting a trail rig recently to propane and found a kit for the 4.0's, but it was about $800 and still didn't include everything necessary for the conversion. The guy I talked to said you could delete the whole wiring harness, except the tranny wires if you still wanted it to shift through the gears for an auto, and a diffrent distibuter had to be installed that wasn't controlled by the ecu.

Try checking gotpropane.com for more info.

The guy I talked to said nothing about not selling it directly to me, and said it should be able to be installed by the average jeeper (someone who works on there own rig alot).

xjcrazed said:
I don't know what problems you'll have with registration/safety/emmisions if you did it though. The EPA's rules are really stupid when it comes to this, and there's no legal way to do it and have a vehicle registered for use on the road.

Unless you have your own testing equipment, you won't know if you're calibrating it properly...hence the regulation on it. It's very possible to hook up and run on propane, only to have your emissions WORSE than gasoline.

Had an old VW Jetta converted to dual fuel. Had a home refueling appliance and everything. Plug it in at night and refuel overnight, took about 6-8 hrs to fill and I had at the time 1 1/4 hr trip one way to work. Gas was cheap at the time but for approx 3-4 buck to fill on ng I was thrilled. It would last me all the way to work and back. However the vehicle died and I was still making payments on the conversion for 3 yrs after I no longer had the vehicle. I'll never live that one down with the wife. Just my 2 cents.

Jess said:
Try checking gotpropane.com for more info.

The guy I talked to said nothing about not selling it directly to me, and said it should be able to be installed by the average jeeper (someone who works on there own rig alot).

Yep.. They sell propane kits directly to people. From what I read, installing the propane kit is pretty easy and can be done at home. CNG is a whole different story though.

Jasper sells the most complete propane kit on the market. From what I remember, all you have to do is buy the tank.

E

Back