• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Increased air flow?

JohnnyBoy425

NAXJA Forum User
So, I had the idea to cut the hole for my stock airbox larger to "increase" airflow. Would that work? I have a high flow K&N panel filter in there, and was thinking maybe a bigger air intake hole could get the most out of it. Any thoughts?

Did on mine too a few years back, I think I lost mileage, but that could be from enjoying the extra induction roar that accompanied it:cool: Instead of chopping up the factory box, I got one from a rolled '97+ XJ to hack up. Been wanting to put a high flow muffler on it to replace the 118k mile original and I'm kinda curious what'll happen after that to mileage.

Well biggest reason I ask is that I just bought a new dynomax turbo catback exhaust system as well as a magnaflow cat, and want to get the most out of the new system. I figured, what the hell, I'll just cut a bigger f'n hole in the intake :)

Rusty's Offroad makes a neat little adaptor. Just take out your stock air box put in thier adaptor and you can attach a K&N filter right to the stock intake tube. Go to www.rustysoffroad.com , look under performance / rusty's intake systems. It's an easy intall, about 5 minutes tops, and it works great! No modifications needed, you can go back to the stock air box anytime ( not that you'd want to).

Try this:

3024245_36_full.jpg

Pulling the restrictor baffle out of the TB tube seemed to help my upper RPM strength, plus it's free.....

Yeah I just took a recipro. saw to mine, but it didn't do anything noticeable. Everyone I talked to said the 4.0 breathes just fine stock. But it can't hurt anything as long as you cut the holes on the fender side so it's breathing colder air.

poorboy_616 said:
Try this:

3024245_36_full.jpg

Pulling the restrictor baffle out of the TB tube seemed to help my upper RPM strength, plus it's free.....

That was one of the first things I tried to do with my '98 when I got it. I didn't have one in my truck and the OP's truck probably doesn't either.

Back