• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

bypass cps with resistor?

No, bypassing it yields you nothing. It needs to generate a syncronized signal based on the rotation of the engine. It picks up the signal based on the notches in the perimeter of the flywheel (manual) or flex plate (auto). A corroded connector or a burnt wire by being next to the exhaust manifold are common fixable problems.

If you are getting any spark at all, it most likely is not the CPS.

I just get a error from the obd2, and I get like a loss of hp, rough ideling some times, and every once in awhile it will get like a boost of power while keeping the rpms the same, like when I accelorate the jeep will jump like I used nos, but the rpms dont jump. what do you think could cause that? I thought it would be easier to put a resistor in there then pay $80 for a no cps and fight to put it in.

Stop by the parts store and borrow the Check Engine Light OBDII code reader.

Bad CPS (Crank Postion Sensor) symptoms are engine cranks and cranks but never starts.

everythingaudiovid said:
I thought it would be easier to put a resistor in there then pay $80 for a no cps and fight to put it in.

the cps is not a variable resistance sensor. it senses when a tooth on the flexplate/flywheel is close, and sends a signal back to the ecu with a frequency corresponding to the rotational speed of the wheel/plate. a resistor will provide a 0Hz signal, so the computer will think the engine sin't turning, and things will go kaput and no longer run.

if you don't want to spend the time/money on a new CPS, check thw wiring and connectors back up into the harness for problems (as old_man said). if its not the wiring, $80 and a few hours is nothing compared to an unmoving vehicle.

Back