• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Hard start and no power

gill41083

NAXJA Forum User
i got a 95 with a h.o. 4.0, it takes a few tries to get it started and it has no power when i hit the gas, i changed the fuel filter and gutted the cat converter but its still the same, and it starts to cut out and run crappy around 3000 rpm's, but if i let off the pedal and then get back into it then it starts to gain a little power. Im stumped on what it could be. Anyone got any suggestions on where to start looking??

I'm having similar problems...we're looking at the alternator and starter right now. But I'm having electrical problems as well, so after we check all the grounds we're going to buy a new alternator.

I have a similar problem. I have to actualy press the gas pedal on my MPFI to get it to start. It won't idle either for a little while then whala, it runs fine and won't do it again till next morning. (maybe it just dosen't like to get up:)

when was the last tune up(plugs, cap, rotor, wires, air filter, o2 sensor) and throttle body cleaning?

also test the fuel pressure with gauge.

had a tune up recently, not sure about the o2 sensor or throttle body cleaning though, i plan to check the fuel pressure today. Anyone know how much fuel pressure it should have?

Muddy Beast said:
I'm having similar problems...we're looking at the alternator and starter right now. But I'm having electrical problems as well, so after we check all the grounds we're going to buy a new alternator.

X2 believe it or not one of the two may be going out and causing you the problem.

Also though check all your grounds

I did a fuel presure check and i have around 35 psi at idle and around 40 psi under a load at the fuel rail. still runs like crap!!!! I also cleaned the throttle body. the header is getting extremly hot realy fast. help!!!!

Last edited:
crank position sensor / CPS ????

Back