• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Paint or Powder Coat? New Bumpers...

Philprof

NAXJA Forum User
I am looking into getting C4x4 rear tire carrier and tnt prerunner front bumper to go with a 2000xj (below). paint or powder. Grille is chrome. Rock rails coming soon...AJs or ? Thoughts?

PICT0013-1.jpg

PICT0005.jpg

Yes, but if your dragging them over rocks the powdercoat will scratch off also and come off in flakes.

Just get a good metal etching primer and do a few good coats with a quality spray paint. It is also easy to touch up and will look good.

Rails, AJ's supers were what I ran before I went to a rocker replacement.

-Alex

Paint is much easier to touch up if you have trail damage or rock chips. POR-15 is an excellent choice for paint. You can get very good looking results with just a brush. Powder coat is very durable and can be applied in colors and/or textures. I think PC looks better.

AJ's rails are great.

If I paint, what colors? I'm having trouble eyeing whats not going to look stupid...(perhaps unavoidable if I'm doing it myself!). black, green, or silver to match the Moab's?

we use Duplicolor Trunk Bed liner paint on all our bumpers.. its a hard wrinkle-finish paint that dries in a semi-gloss finish and holds up pretty well to UV oxidation. and it touches up very easy. get it at walmart or pep boys it's in a blue can.

I like rattle can paint because it is easier to touch-up. Powder coat will scratch off when you hit rocks. I use a matte-black finish Rustoleum. I don't like the look of gloss black.

sidriptide said:
we use Duplicolor Trunk Bed liner paint on all our bumpers.. its a hard wrinkle-finish paint that dries in a semi-gloss finish and holds up pretty well to UV oxidation. and it touches up very easy. get it at walmart or pep boys it's in a blue can.
Another vote for Duplicolor spray on bed liner. The gritty appearance also covers imperfections, drips, scratches, etc. Easier to lay than spray paint too.

I have never seen my jeep before, thats my exact jeep when it was stock. Looks great! There is a site somewhere with gactory color spray paint, paint em up matching green.

Powder coat is tougher than paint but, once it chips it will flake off, and it isn't something you can touch-up easily. Most people go with paint because it is durable enough and is easy to touch-up.

As for type of paint that is personal preference. I like a satin black Rustoleum myself, but I also like the hammered finish stuff they've got.

I brushed POR-15 on my JCR front bumper on my CJ and it came out awesome. Don't forget a UV coating if you go traditional POR-15. I plan to do the same with my AJ PhatXJ when I get it....

just make sure it is a paint you can match in the future when all you bought has run out. I use Walmart gloss black on everything I painted on my rig. It is less than $1 per can and I don't see Walmart going out of business anytime in the near future.

Semi gloss black krylon, or hammered. Easy to touch up, fairly durable.

Back