• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Pro Comp tires any good?

Muddy Beast

NAXJA Forum User
I'm in dier need of new tires...and I've been looking at getting BF Goodrich Mud Terrains 31x10.5 for my currently stock XJ. But on the 4wheelparts website I see that I can buy 3 pro comp tires and get one free. I looked at what they have, and the mud terrains pro comp makes look exactly the same as BFG's. Anyone have any thoughts on these puppies?

Maybe some other tires out there similar to the BFG's Mud Terrains? Since I live in the Northwest, it gets sloppy, but its a DD XJ as well.

Try Costco for the BFG's. I paid about $140 a tire including mounting and balancing.

Hmm you know how long the costco deal is going on?

I had ProComp MT's in 31x10.5 for a while. I can't complain all that much; they were very noisy, but hooked up 'ok'. But LOTS of people around here swear that the side walls are weaker than spit, and have photo's to prove it. I would pay for a higher quality tire if I had to do it over again.

Currently, I have Michelin LTX 31x10.5 all terrains on my XJ and I couldn't be happier. Quiet, fairly grippy, and durable.

But that's all my opinion.

Goodluck

Muddy Beast said:
Hmm you know how long the costco deal is going on?
They have deals sporadically but I don't know if any are going right now. I bought mine in February listed at $149.99 a piece plus $10 per tire for mounting and balancing, but there was a $60 instant rebate on any 4 Michelins or BFGs at the time.

I have a set of AT's, they work great in the snow and rain on the road, off road they could use a little more stick to em

Yeah my dad said their's a $60 rebate on BFG's there right now as well...

I have had two sets of the pro comp tires and hated them. They don't wear even and they chew up fast off road. I am now running BFGs and I love them.

If a tire is cheap, there is a reason.

I would NEVER run a pro comp tire.

I will not again ever run a BFG tire on a trail rig.

;)

I really like my 33" X-Terrains, but the sidewalls aren't worth much.

They are good on and off road otherwise.

This was done by a relatively small fallen limb.

It's going to make a bitchin' tire swing for my daughter though.

Slade4-19-2008073-1.jpg

Look at the Dunlop Mud Rover, Maxxis Bighorn, Firestone Destination MT/Dayton Timberline MT for cheap(er) tires with better quality than Pro Crap.

Ive run teh Xterrains for about 2 months now and like them. I have 37's and the side walls have seen some damaging hits but have stayed together? I came out of 35" Krawlers and Ill tell you the Xterrains dont compare to teh Krawlers but so far Im happy with them!

flexdout said:
Ive run teh Xterrains for about 2 months now and like them. I have 37's and the side walls have seen some damaging hits but have stayed together? I came out of 35" Krawlers and Ill tell you the Xterrains dont compare to teh Krawlers but so far Im happy with them!

The 37"+ XTerrains have the 3 ply sidewall and the XTC compound as well as a slightly different sidewall tread pattern (you notice when they're side by side). The smaller tires are only 2 ply sidewall.

Just so there is not confusion on smaller tires being two ply:

The Dayton and Firestones MT's are 3 ply sidewall. They are ony available up to 33". I have run these along with BFG's in 31". I couldnt tell any difference between brands on or off road. The three times I cut sidewalls (always on a brand new tire!!!) were all due to poor line choice (slid off a sharp spine onto the sidewall) or to much throttle pinching a tire while bumping up at low pressures.

John

I also baught my BFG AT's at costco for 139.98 a tire, but get this they say that if the tire exceeds the stock tire size they cannot mount or balance the tire, and you dont get any warranty. So watch out for that i have a 3inch lift and got the 31's but the price was so low i baught them anyway but then had to spend an extra 100 to get them mounted and balanced so that blows!! just a heads up

if you want a tire that isn't as expensive but just as good or better than a BFG try the General Grabber AT2's. I have had them for over a year now and I will get another pair when these need replaced!!! I bought mine for $90 a tire from tire rack

4WP has the BFG's on sale right now as well, the price is right

33x10.5x15 is 151.99 each

I'm really tempted to run my credit card back up with some new tires.

TRXUS MTs are usually about $125 for a 31x10.5 and $150 for a 33x12.5 I know a few people running them and they seen to like them.

Have you checked treadwright.com? I got my tires there for 50 each in a 235/75. They are re-treads but mine are BFG A/T casings

Back