• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Waggy 6 lug to 5 lug conversion problem

Cornfed-87XJ

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
I have put together a waggy 44 for my 87 XJ. I changed the bolt pattern to 5x5.5 using rotors from a 78 Ford F150 including all of the bearings and seals for the Ford hubs and GM small bearing spindles. I bought the calipers and pads today that matched the Waggy which are GM calipers. This is when I realized I had a problem. The rotors appear to be about 3/8" too far in and interfere with the inboard pad. I can't get the pad to clear the backing plate. Please tell me what I did wrong? I tried to post pics, but I could not get them to work.

Have you looked at this guy's website yet:

http://77cj.littlekeylime.com/web_rs44.html

I think it might help you out.

For my 5x5.5 conversion I used everything from the knuckles out from a 79 F-150 and everything from the knuckles in is from a 83 J-10 truck including the ball joints. That way there's only two parts vechicles to remember and not three or more. Also, the shafts (both inner and outer) were from the J-10, which went right in with the ford stuff. The Warn Premium hubs go with the ford stuff too.

Also: do you have the calipers on the right side? I get confused with that sometimes and try to put one on backwards. Ooops!

I found my answer on offroad.com. Someone else had the same problem. The small bearing spindles I bought are actually for a drum set up, which puts the inner bearing about 1/4 too far inboard. I compared them to my large bearing spindles, and I found the inner bearing surface is too far inboard. Be careful buying spindles on Ebay, thats where I bought these for $40. Make sure you ask if they are for a drum or disc brake set up. I am going to see if I can find a machine shop which will turn down the inner bearing surface on my large bearing spindles.

I hope that this helps someone else who might be having the same problem.

Back