• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

rear mounted winch suggestions?

flexdout

NAXJA Forum User
I recently purchased a 3k lb Superwinch(ATV) for the rear and have been toying with how Im gonna mount it. I moved the gas tank into the hatch area today and now Im not limited to room. I just havent figured out yet how Im gonna mount it. My curiousity is will it have any problems being inverted? Im thinking some sort of frame tie in for structure that has a plate to mount the winch to. Its a small winch so its consumes very little room...heres a link to the actual winch
http://www.superwinch.com/ATV3000_3_000_lbs_9901.html

I have the 10' remote which Ill probably hardwire directly to my center console so I dont have to constantly take it on and off like the 1 up front. Just curious if anyones running a rear winch. Especially if you have mounted it undernieth.

I think the bigger question is will that 3k winch have enough power to pull your jeep when you need it.It is rated for an atv that at the most weighs 800lbs.I would atleast go with a 8k.What kind of winch to you have on the front?

as far as mounting a winch to the rear I would look into modifying a stock receiver hitch "frame" by welding a cradle in it.

What if he brings along a shackle block or two? That way he can double or tripple the force. That should be enough most of the time, right? Is this the second winch, with a full sized one on the front?

as far as mounting a winch to the rear I would look into modifying a stock receiver hitch "frame" by welding a cradle in it.[/quote]

This is the only way that I've ever seen it done well on an xj. A local guy mounted a 6K on to a homemade mount that started as a receiver hitch. The winch ended up sitting about where the bottom 1/2 of a stock rear bumper sits. He trimmed and hammered a little of the cargo floor and trimmed a little of the bumper.
I've seen them mounted in the cargo area, but never in a way that was very sturdy or functional.

Its not a primary winch? I have an EPi9 up front that will do 99% of the pulling. This is for those situations that need a little help in the rear and to compress the rear on steep decents. LIke stated if I really need o pull from the rear I can block it and double the pull. I have no intensions of hooking this to people and trying to pull them out with it. Its purely for when IM in a jam and the front isnt an option. As far as the hitch mount goes I want this permanent and hard wired. Im not gonna drive around on atrail with a winch hanging off the bumper?

I'll second the reciever mount. I know you dont want to drive around the trails with it hanging off your rear bumper but you said you wont be using it much, stow it away when you arent using it. Its not like its a full sized winch that weighs 100lbs, throw it in the back and strap it down when not in use.
personally I wouldnt even keep it in the vehicle. Its too tempting to use it. I know that if I get stuck, I will be using it to extract myself and that 3000lbs winch and 3/16th cable just isnt up to it. To each their own.

flexdout said:
As far as the hitch mount goes I want this permanent and hard wired. Im not gonna drive around on atrail with a winch hanging off the bumper?

You're missing the point.What I waqs saying is to cut out the middle of the receiver frame and weld in a winch cradle(how much more permanent can it get)....I didn't say anything about attaching the winch to the receiver.You said your gas tank is relocated so you will have all the clearance you need to tuck the winch up in there.
Do you understand what I'm saying?

here:

the red outline is the winch cradle that will be tucked up behind the rear cross member(where the gas tank used to be)and the yellow is where the fairlead could go with a little reinforcement to the crossmember.I would just have the line run through the rear bumper with the fairlead attached to the bumper.
Or you could invert the whole thing so the winch mounts upside down that way you wouldn't have to modify your rear bumper so the line can run through it.The line would run under it.

Last edited:
I understood what your saying about using the hitch. I dont have a tow hitch on my Jeep. I have set it up for as much approach angle as possible. I got under it today and did a little drawing to see what I could put together. Im most likely going to box in the frame and make an inverted mount off of that. I took the winch and set it up in there upside down and the line will flow between the tube bumper I have pretty smoothly so thats the route Ill go. Ill post pics as I start the process. I still have a few other things being done now so thats a little down on the list.

Back