• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Speedometer trouble

mrrbby

NAXJA Forum User
My speedometer in my 96 xj isn't working properly. The needle bounces, if it decides to work at all. I'm running stock gears, 34" tires. Unfortunately, it was doing this when I bought it. I picked up a truespeed to correct the speedo, needle was still bouncing. I've put in a good vss from a 94, that was working correctly, still bouncing. Swapped in a spare gauge cluster, still bouncing, if it moved at all. What should I be looking at here? I'm at a loss here. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Do you have a tach? Is it bouncing also. I had that problem (bouncing speedo and tach on my 96 XJ) a while back. It was a bad ground to the cluster. I tried cleaning the connectors to the cluster, but that didn't help. I ended up running a ground wire directly from the cluster circuit panel to a chassis ground. Haven't had a problem since.

Did the 94 use the same VSS as the 96? I thought there was a difference.

I'd normally say VSS is the primary suspect in this case, but clocking the speedo gear incorrectly can certainly cause the same problem. I had the same problem with my 96 after I bought it and the dealership finally relented and swapped in a good VSS. Voila, no more 80mph in a drive-thru...

Jim www.yuccaman.com

I don't know if a '96 is an electric speedo or cable driven. If it is cable driven you can dump some graphite down in the cable housing from the speedo side. Sometimes the cable inside the housing gets in a bind. Steel on steel. Its an "old school" fix but it works. DO NOT USE OIL OR WET LUBRICANTS! They work great at first, but it only worsens the problem later on.

cbtb87 said:
I don't know if a '96 is an electric speedo or cable driven. If it is cable driven you can dump some graphite down in the cable housing from the speedo side. Sometimes the cable inside the housing gets in a bind. Steel on steel. Its an "old school" fix but it works. DO NOT USE OIL OR WET LUBRICANTS! They work great at first, but it only worsens the problem later on.
'96 is electric, hence the reason we are talking about the VSS (Vehicle Speed Sensor).

Jim www.yuccaman.com

It was the VSS. It was out of adjustment, not much, but enough. Pulled it, put it in properly this time, no signal to the speedo. My buddy pulled the VSS, and pulled it apart. FULL of mud. How could that happen?:laugh3: He cleaned it out, put it back together, and it works. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

Back