• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Brake Fluid Soaked Pads and othe Brake ?s

karstic

NAXJA Forum User
So a caliper seal failed this weekend and I'm pondering a few questions.

Are brake fluid soaked brake pads useable or are they toast?

I assume if I replace the fluid soaked pads I should get a matching set for the other side.

Rebuild the caliper or buy one of the shelf?

Thoughts.

ive heard of boiling fluid-fouled brake shoes in water

sounds kind of crazy, would'nt bet my life on boiled pads...
but might be worth the experiment on a trail rig

92DripCherokee said:
ive heard of boiling fluid-fouled brake shoes in water

sounds kind of crazy, would'nt bet my life on boiled pads...
but might be worth the experiment on a trail rig

although ive never tried it with car brake pads, ive done this a few times with hayes disc pads for a mountain bike and it does work quite well.

XJ Stryker said:
considering the new calipers are 15 bucks after core charge at vatozone why not buy a new one.

Uhh.. Not his ;)

I wouldn't risk it man, I'd get new pads. You can throw the old one in your M100 for those freak breaks on a long run. And yes, I always match pads side for side.

GSequoia said:
Uhh.. Not his ;)

I wouldn't risk it man, I'd get new pads. You can throw the old one in your M100 for those freak breaks on a long run. And yes, I always match pads side for side.

What did i miss. I just bought new calipers for my waggie last friday. what does he have like a d60 in the front or something if so he should have asked in MOD tech lol. i was talking about a d-30 axle. i bought new pads also for 30 bucks both sides of course.

XJ Stryker said:
What did i miss. I just bought new calipers for my waggie last friday. what does he have like a d60 in the front or something if so he should have asked in MOD tech lol. i was talking about a d-30 axle. i bought new pads also for 30 bucks both sides of course.

Ford Explorer

Actually I'll be dropping the caliper off at Vanco tomorrow to see if we can figure out why it failed.

GSequoia said:
Uhh.. Not his ;)

Brake parts should always be replaced in pairs. Because the other side becomes the weak point after replacing one side. And there shouldn't really be a weak point or risks taken in braking.

It's one thing if you can't "go." It's another if you can't "stop."

Problem solved.

New caliper and pads through Vanco customer service.

I couldn't be a happier customer at the moment.

Back