• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need advice on getting another XJ.....

cherokee4fun

NAXJA Forum User
So,
Here is the deal, I have a 90, 4.0, AW4, command trac with 265,000 miles on it, runs fine, not a beauty queen, but is a nice rig. I have been thinking I should think about replacing it when something comes along, and then I find this:

A one owner 1996 XJ UpCountry, with 110,000 miles with original invoice. It's select trac Full Time 4WD. Aditionla optional equipment include Air conditioning, tilt steering, speed control, AM/FM cseette radio, triler tow group, hitch receptacle, adapter plug, Leather interior group, power drive bucket seats, track-Loc differential, P225 OWL A/T tires, full size spare, skid plates, tow hooks, special shock absorbers, HD radiator, power group 4 door locks and windows, keyless entry, cargo area cover, overhead console, sunscreen glass, rear window defroster, duel electric remote mirrors, fog lamps, primium speaker group 5th aluminum wheel, leather wrapped steering wheel, cargo area tie down hooks, rear window wiper washer roof rack gas shcks, extra quiet insulation,the tires are almost new and I have a set of studded snow tires mounted on separte rims that are also almost new.

Seems to be a perfect match, not that fond of the Black color, but?/

So. they are asking $5000. Seems high to me, but what do you think? What are the pros and cons of a 96?

Any advice is helpful,

Confused in Oregon.........:sad1:

96 was the last year of the old body style. but it has obd II and many parts that are on the newer gen XJs.

i have a 96 classic with 1/4 the options of the one your looking at . mine has 140k 3.5RE lift, full performance exhaust, 32x112.5 MTRs, a few engin and body mods here and there.. and i wouldn't sell it for less than 5k . . . but im the orig owner and know it has been maintained very well. my window sticker without all those options was $22k

if you bought that jeep and stripped it and sold all those parts you could prolly make more than the vehical is worth together... BUT.. and this is huge BUT..

the cost of gas is making the value of used Jeeps worth much less and they are having a very difficult time selling ones that pretty enought to use on the street. good leverage point. but.. my opion is that thats a excellent year jeep to own.. .. but i dont know how i feel about the transfer case.. i'd rather have the part time system.

I've got a '96 Sport that I paid around $3k for with 160k miles, in great shape and well maintained.

A '96 will have the newer style transfer case which is more susceptible to vibes when you lift it. It also is the first year for OBD2 computer system, which is a plus if you have a reader. I believe it is also the first year for R134a air conditioning, which in my opinion is a huge plus, mine keeps me nice and chilly and is really cheap to service compared to the R12 systems.

Looking at the long list of "features" you listed, the only ones that weren't stock on my '96 Sport are the skidplates ($18 at the Pick-A-Part), tow hooks (~$100), trailer hitch (~$35 at Pick-A-Part), overhead console, power seats, and the fog lights. If the Up Country seats are the ones I am thinking of, they should be really comfortable.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you have any other questions.

it's also the first year for the dual diaphram brake booster but one year short of the 29 spline axles.

Took a look through craig's list in Phoenix for '96s and the avg for 27 listings(some dupes) is $3198.

Highest was $5000, lowest was $850(tossed that one from the average).

Last edited:
Back