• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New CPS--Aftermarket or OEM

Which CPS to buy?

• Mopar $108 1 Yr. Warranty

Votes: 8 16.3%
  • VIP Auto $90 Lifetime Warranty

Votes: 13 26.5%
  • AutoZone $62 2 Yr. Warranty

Votes: 18 36.7%
  • Other

Votes: 10 20.4%

• Total voters
part no. 33004761 OEM from Mopar dealer
42.70 plus tax
That was list price on the invoice...

for an '88 XJ

Bought a spare when I thought mine was going south but never had to install it. It was about $50 at the stealership in Georgia. Where did that $100+ price come from?

89CherokeePioneer said:
VIP is pretty local to the North east of the U.S. Generally most of there stuff is no-name parts. I'd go with AutoZone.

Yeah, it's a chain up here--same stuff as AutoZone, etc. I'm sure it's the same generic part, marked up to cover the "probably will never be used" warranty. I do, though, seem to have the CPS under water more often then I'd have predicted and that seems to have led to it's issues (although it could be circumstantial, I guess, but it's always worse after a dip.

89CherokeePioneer said:
I lived in Augusta for about a year. Couldn't deal with how casual and spaced apart everything is-so back to Massachusetts I went.

So, uptight and crammed together was better??

Anyhow, I think I'd go with the 2 year warranty at AZ.

I don't know, but my Jeeps really seem to like Mopar sensors better. The price, however, seems a little steep. As I recall, the last time I replaced one it was like $62 at Autozone or $68 at Jeep....for $108 I don't know. You might call around or check a place like www.chryslerpartsdirect.com

SanDiegoXJ said:
I don't know, but my Jeeps really seem to like Mopar sensors better. The price, however, seems a little steep. As I recall, the last time I replaced one it was like $62 at Autozone or $68 at Jeep....for $108 I don't know. You might call around or check a place like www.chryslerpartsdirect.com

Hmm--assuming a "Vehicle Speed Sensor" is the same part as a CPS (which gets zero results), I would save about $20.00 through them--which is nice. Thanks.

mecompco said:
Hmm--assuming a "Vehicle Speed Sensor" is the same part as a CPS (which gets zero results), I would save about $20.00 through them--which is nice. Thanks.

It's not the same piece. The Vehicle Speed Sensor tells your speedometer how fast you're going. The Crankshaft Position Sensor tells the distributor when to fire.

If you can't find the part listed on the website though, you can send them an email and they'll respond with a part number and price....but they're always cheaper than my local dealer....you just have to wait for delivery.

Back