• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

So quick question....

88manche

NAXJA Forum User
I may be getting yet another XJ. this one is a 4.0, aw4, with an 8.25 rear end. Pretty sure the gears are 3.55.

Plans for it are 5'' up, 33's.

What kind of milage am I expected to see stock and modded??

Are you planning on regearing the axles or leaving them the stock 3.55's? Right now i've got 4.5" lift 31's on stock axles and get about 13mpg city.

There is no way to answer that question. You will just have to try it and see.

It also helps to do regular service....plugs, wires, cap and rotor, exhaust (and cat), o2 sensor, proper tire pressure, proper alignment, etc, etc.... The manner in which you drive also has a larger impact---city or highway, if you drive fast or like a grandma, on or off road, etc.

Many factors determine mileage and you gave us very little info. Keep in mind with larger tires, unless you change the speedo gear, your odometer will not be correct and it will be difficult to determine your correct mpg.

1998 4.5" 4.0L 32X11.5 3.55 about 11 mpg city.

Jess said:
There is no way to answer that question. You will just have to try it and see.

It also helps to do regular service....plugs, wires, cap and rotor, exhaust (and cat), o2 sensor, proper tire pressure, proper alignment, etc, etc.... The manner in which you drive also has a larger impact---city or highway, if you drive fast or like a grandma, on or off road, etc.

Many factors determine mileage and you gave us very little info. Keep in mind with larger tires, unless you change the speedo gear, your odometer will not be correct and it will be difficult to determine your correct mpg.

There may not be a definitive way to answer it but just giving ball park ranges of what most people get gives an idea. Basically you'll be between 10 to 15 mpg or more depending on what other mods you have/will do.

2000, 4.0, AW-4, 3.55(8.25 axle)
225-70-15: 19mpg interstate speed(65-80ish) 21mpg highway(45-65ish)
30x9.50-15: 19mpg highway(45-65ish) (no long interstate drives recently)

Back