• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

best way to test drive on front wheel drive only

blondejoncherokee

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
you do you guys plug up the rear tail cone? i tried a cut in half gatorade bottle and tons of duct tape. but it didnt work and lost all of the fluid and turned around and went home after a 1/4 mile down the st...i need to drive it without rear wheel drive....

its a test. run with the front shaft only at highway speeds. if no vibes, i know for sure its the rear shaft. if it still vibes then i know its an internal t case/tranny problem, or someting of that nature. ive been diagnosing my vibes for months. the guys on the seirra thread reccamended it as well as most other people i talked to , its basically the only test i havent done, and the sye is the only moving part i havent done yet either, im in the middle of putting together a cheap hackntap with some free parts, and some seals from RE. im waiting on them to ship basically, but itd be nice to make sure the sye will actually fix the vibes...

so does anybody know the best way to cover up the rear output for a test drive in front wheel....i will figure something out, but before i go wsting tons of time i just wanted to know if someone knows a sure thing...

blondejoncherokee said:
its a test. run with the front shaft only at highway speeds. if no vibes, i know for sure its the rear shaft.

Ah, how about removing the front shaft to see if it's still vibrating? Just a thought...

:dunce:

You could also see if the rubber style freeze plugs would fit and tighten it down to get it snug and seal it up temporarily.

dave92cherokee said:
You could also see if the rubber style freeze plugs would fit and tighten it down to get it snug and seal it up temporarily.
Uhmm,theres a shaft in the middle!!!

already pulled the front shaft month ago for the front test, never thought of testing the rear. i have a sye on the way, so i might just wait to install that and see if i still have vibes.....i should have posted a link to my vibe thread....just wanted something quick if possible. ill try some rubber freeze plugs. i might just to go to picknpull and pull an old xj yoke off and shove it in there...

already pulled the front shaft month ago for the front test, never thought of testing the rear. i have a sye on the way, so i might just wait to install that and see if i still have vibes.....i should have posted a link to my vibe thread....just wanted something quick if possible. ill try some rubber freeze plugs. i might just to go to picknpull and pull an old xj yoke off and shove it in there...

Dude, gatorade bottles usually have gnarly ridges. Soda bottle or something smooth...something the tape can stick to.

Or an SYE is never a bad idea.

XgeekstarX said:
dorman/motormite make a few tailshaft plugs that are somewhat universal on sizing. ask your local counter monkey to pull out the book.

Hey, watch who your callin' counter monkey!!!

J/K it's all cool......

ASE P2 and ASE A/C Refrigerant recovery and recycle cert's......

Before I got my SYE I went to the JY and pulled a slip yoke apart from a rear DS and kept it for a spare in case I broke a u-joint in the rear or actually broke the driveshaft. Well it ended up happening one time on a trail and all I did was slide the slip yoke in the case and I was able to drive it home on the front only. It was a nice thing to have until I did my SYE. Maybe you can try that?

good call phil on teh soda bottle...i think its the ridges on the tail cone that are giving me grief, but im gonna go get a soda right now...

redbull can fits perfect in the seal, just tape it on. remember tho, the tape wont stick to the tcase if its all oily.

Back