• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Right shift points of AW4: Please Help me!

p.b.

NAXJA Forum User
Hello to everybody.
My name is Paolo, and this is my first message in your forum.
I have read a lot of your topics, because I have finished to swap into my Jeep Tj 4.0 the AW4 from a crashed Xj and I found precious information about it.
After few chilometers verything seems to be ok, but I don't know if the new transmission shifts right... It's my first time with this transmission.
So, I'm looking for someone who could tell me which are the shifting points; at which RPM the Xj normally changes the gears
I have not still installed the confort/sport button but I know that it changes a little the shiting points, isn't it?
Please help me!
Thank you in advance to everybody and sorry for my bad english!
Paolo (Italy)

My '96 XJ shifts like this:
Light gas: ~2000 RPM
Moderate gas: ~2500 - 2700 RPM
Pedal to the floor: 5000 RPM

It all depends on how heavy your foot is. But those are the approximate figures I have from my experience.

p.b. said:
Hello to everybody.
My name is Paolo, and this is my first message in your forum.
I have read a lot of your topics, because I have finished to swap into my Jeep Tj 4.0 the AW4 from a crashed Xj and I found precious information about it.
After few chilometers verything seems to be ok, but I don't know if the new transmission shifts right... It's my first time with this transmission.
So, I'm looking for someone who could tell me which are the shifting points; at which RPM the Xj normally changes the gears
I have not still installed the confort/sport button but I know that it changes a little the shiting points, isn't it?
Please help me!
Thank you in advance to everybody and sorry for my bad english!
Paolo (Italy)

p.b.

Did you install the transmission throttle linkage? In addition to the transmission computer, there is a mechanical linkage that connects to the throttle body; this is not a kick down cable but a mechanical input to the transmission valve body basically telling the transmission how far you've pushed the accelerator pedal. The cable input controls internal operating pressures of the transmission and will affect the transmission computer in determining shift points (which will vary depending on how much you are pressing the accelerator. The linkage needs to be installled and adjusted correctly; newer adjuster versions have a metal tab you push in and then slide the cable back into it....to adjust you simply floor the gas pedal and the cable adjuster will ratchet to the correct spot.....the older version is similar but I'm not familiar with it. Hope this helps...

mike
00XJ

jocko463 said:
p.b.

Did you install the transmission throttle linkage? In addition to the transmission computer, there is a mechanical linkage that connects to the throttle body; this is not a kick down cable but a mechanical input to the transmission valve body basically telling the transmission how far you've pushed the accelerator pedal. The cable input controls internal operating pressures of the transmission and will affect the transmission computer in determining shift points (which will vary depending on how much you are pressing the accelerator. The linkage needs to be installled and adjusted correctly; newer adjuster versions have a metal tab you push in and then slide the cable back into it....to adjust you simply floor the gas pedal and the cable adjuster will ratchet to the correct spot.....the older version is similar but I'm not familiar with it. Hope this helps...

mike
00XJ

The cable only controls the internal hydraulic pressure and hence the shift firmness. The transmission computer controls the shift points based on the throttle position sensor and the output shaft speed.

Fist of all,
Thank you everybody for the help!

Mike, I have connected the original Throttle Position Sensor TPS with the cables from AW4 Computer.
Then, there is a cable that I though was only the Kick Down cable command. My Tj had the 3 speed auto trans, so it just had the original kick down cable.
As you and Lawsoncl say, I need to check this and properly adjust.

BigG, I have no "Kick down" effect if I put the pedal to the floor, and the trans seems to shift about 2500 rpm, everytime. Maybe the problem is that cable. Besides I have not installed the sport/confort button at all. Does it changes things so much?

Thank you again for the help.

Let me know about every other suggestion you have

Ciao,
Paolo

p.b. said:
Besides I have not installed the sport/confort button at all. Does it changes things so much?

It makes a pretty big difference, but mainly lowers the shift points in "comfort" mode. There should still be a difference depending on throttle position. I can't stand it, so I run it in "power" mode all the time. Every once and a while the switch accidently gets hit, It feels like something's wrong till I realize it's in comfort mode.

Did you change the TPS to one for an AW4? I am not sure if they use the same as the 3spd auto. It may need adjusting too, as well as the cable.

TRAILREADYXJ said:
Did you change the TPS to one for an AW4? I am not sure if they use the same as the 3spd auto. It may need adjusting too, as well as the cable.

Well. The TPS is the original of Tj throttle body, and it is connected to the motor computer. I have connected the signal to the AW4 TCU too, from the sensor cables to give inputs to the transmission computer.
Do you know at which voltage the TPS of your Xjs works? I still have never read nothing about this difference... I think that mine on Tj works about 5V but I'm not sure.
Let me know!
Thank you,
Paolo

I think I have adjusted the throttle linkage cable.
Now the upshifts are right. But the downshift are not good.
Let me explain what happens:
If I completely stop and accelerate with pedal to the floor the aw4 firmly shifts all gears at about 5000 rpm. Then, when I let reduce the speed letting the Jeep go on, without braking or accelerating, the trans doesn't downshift. Still remains in 4th gear, and if I accelerate again (with motor at a middle range, about 1700-2000rpm), with the pedal to the floor, the trans doesn't downshift from 4th to 3rd or 3rd to 2nd gear (like a kickdown effect) but still remains in the same gear . But if I manually downshift (from D to 3) with the shifter, the trans pass form 4th to the lower 3rd gear as I'd like...
I have decided to check my TPS and change it with the original one for the XJ.
Does anybody know the number code to order the TPS for the AW4, so I can go to DC and buy it?
I couldn't find the part number.
Thank you all for the help!
Paolo

Last edited:
p.b. said:
Well. The TPS is the original of Tj throttle body, and it is connected to the motor computer. I have connected the signal to the AW4 TCU too, from the sensor cables to give inputs to the transmission computer.
Do you know at which voltage the TPS of your Xjs works? I still have never read nothing about this difference... I think that mine on Tj works about 5V but I'm not sure.
Let me know!
Thank you,
Paolo
What year did the AW4 and TCU come from?

I just checked the TPS signal going to my 89 AW4 TCU and at closed throttle, the signal is near 5-volts and wide open throttle is near zero. This is opposite of the normal TPS signal to the engine computer. This is the reason the earlier XJs had two outputs on the TPS sensor. In later years, the signal was provided by the ECM instead and believe the signal was still reversed, but I don't have any reference to confirm that.

I don't know which way the TJ TPS sensor runs, but I expect it's opposite of what your TCU is expecting and might explain the strange shifting.

lawsoncl said:
What year did the AW4 and TCU come from?

I just checked the TPS signal going to my 89 AW4 TCU and at closed throttle, the signal is near 5-volts and wide open throttle is near zero. This is opposite of the normal TPS signal to the engine computer. This is the reason the earlier XJs had two outputs on the TPS sensor. In later years, the signal was provided by the ECM instead and believe the signal was still reversed, but I don't have any reference to confirm that.

I don't know which way the TJ TPS sensor runs, but I expect it's opposite of what your TCU is expecting and might explain the strange shifting.

Lawsoncl, I don't know the precise year the TCU is, but it still has the sport/confort button. I was told that "AW4 - 4 speed automatic, electronically controlled - manufactured by Aisin - used from 87-01 (87-91 models include a Power/Comfort button that adjusts the shift points)".
So maybe 87-91 years.

If you still have the "Power/Comfort" switch from the donor vehicle, I'd be inclined to think that it's 1987-1990 vintage. Did it also come with a "divorced" or "separate" transmission control unit, or was it integrated into the engine controller as a single box?

Also, it's quite important that you do manage to nail down the donor's year - at least, whether it's 1990 and earlier, or 1991 and later. You see, those years are also the dividing line for different control systems - from 1987 to 1990, the XJ used a control setup built by Bendix under contract to Renault (called RENIX, here and elsewhere;) and 1991 and up XJ used Chrysler control electronics, which began integrating various control functions into a single control unit (typically called a Powertrain Control Module.)

Why is this important? For 1990 and earlier models, the Throttle Position Sensor for AW4-equipped XJ's was actually two units in one - there was a three-wire plug that went to the engine controller, and a four-wire plug (only three wires used) that went to the transmission controller. In 1991, both functions were served by a single sensor, and a single plug. This makes nailing down your donor's era accurately VERY important! If it was from a TJ into your XJ (or a YJ into your XJ,) it would be easier - the YJ didn't get the 4.0/AW4 combination until 1991. However, XJ's were equipped with it as early as 1987 (I know, I have one out back...)

If you brought over all your engine control electronics with the swap, then it's just a matter of identifying the ignition coil (the easiest and most visible way.) 1987-1990 XJ w/4.0L I6 used an ignition coil that was mounted to the ignition control module, and the word "RENIX" was actually cast into the module, between the heatsink fins. 1991-up XJ had a coil that was NOT attached to a control module, since the control module was divorced from the engine (mounted on the firewall, I believe.)

Also, the engine control module itself, for 1987-1990XJ, was found under the dashboard near your right knee (in left-hand drive versions) and usually had the word "RENIX" or "BENDIX" cast or stamped into the module's case.

If that doesn't help, we'll still be able to work with either an engine block casting number or a cylinder head casting number, assuming they're original. 1987-1990 4.0L engines carried a cylinder head with the casting number #2686, and 1991-1995 with #7120. 1996-1999 was usually 0630, and 2000-2001XJ had 0331. I don't recall precisely where the cylinder head casting number is offhand (it's late - perhaps someone else will see this and confirm in the morning over here?) but I believe it is on the driver's side of the cylinder head top, between #3 and #4 cylinders, outside of the valve cover.

While the RENIX (1987-1990) control system is often looked down upon over here, and many are grateful for its replacement with Chrysler's electronics, there are those among us who actually like the system - I find it easier to troubleshoot, since there isn't an electronic "brain" trying to throw diagnostic codes at me and give me its own ideas.

As far as AW4 tech and information, may I suggest you look up BrettM - he's devised a "manual/automatic" shifter control for the AW4 that's gotten good reviews, and may know more about the box than I do...

5-90

I believe that the AW4 TCU was always seperate and never combined into the ECM. The TCU TPS signal comes from the ECM instead of a seperate set of wires from the TPS when they went to the Chrysler ECM. It did move from the passenger side of the dash to the drivers side in 96 I think.

One other thing I noticed, but have not confirmed, is that the TCU connector seems to be color coded by year. The connector is grey for the Renix units and Green for the HO units. The connectors look the same except the keying grooves are different. You could get a 93 TCU to fit an 89 harness by shaving down the keying ridges on the wiring harness conenctor.

5-90 thank you for the complete answer... maybe too much...
Let me say that I have bought the aw4 with its own TCU, but I don't know nothing about the Xj donor, where it came from.
What I can say more, is that the TCU is already connected from a gray 26 or more pins to the trans with 2 plugs, grey and black and I had to connected only other "few" cables to the original Tj, looking at diagrams from a 1989 xj.
For example the TCU to:
the Park-Neutral system, to the original from my Tj automatic
The brake pedal signal
The sport-confort button
The reverse lights
TheTPS
I don't remember others...
If you say that my TPS is not compatible with the TCU...
I remember I checked the Tj TPS signals from 0v to 5v but I don't remember if it was with the throttle closed or open...
I could try buying the TPS with double cables, but I don't know the order codes.
Thank you for the patience!

I don't suppose you have ready access to your transmission controller? If you could give us the OEM part number off the thing (should be 8 digits long...) that might also help - I'm fairly sure I'm not the only one who can dig around on stuff like this - it's just coming up with the key item to make it all make sense.

"Trying the two-connector TPS" may be cost prohibitive - over here, the thing goes for about UDS110. Getting one should be fairly easy elsewise - just ask for a TPS for, say, a 1989XJ w/4.0L and AW4. I seem to recall them being the same through the entire four-year span (1987, 1988, 1989, and 1990.)

Obviously the TPS is not totally incompatible with the TCU - it's working, just not entirely well. Considering the changes that were made around that production time in the XJ, I would just prefer not to guess.

Oddly enough, I think the "second" TPS on 1987-1990XJ worked in reverse from the "first" (for instance, from low resistance to high as the throttle opened, vice from high resistance to low) and I haven't had a chance to check 1991-up TPS units yet - my newest XJ is a 1989! But, that could also make things a little goofy...

5-90

5-90 said:
Oddly enough, I think the "second" TPS on 1987-1990XJ worked in reverse from the "first" (for instance, from low resistance to high as the throttle opened, vice from high resistance to low) and I haven't had a chance to check 1991-up TPS units yet - my newest XJ is a 1989! But, that could also make things a little goofy...
5-90

I can confirm that on an 89. The TPS signal for the engein controller is 0-volts closed to 5 volts wide open throttle. The second TPS signal for the tranny runs opposite (ie 5 volts closed throttle). A 95 FSM says the single throttle signal should run 0-5 volts as well.

It wouldn't be too hard to rig up a simple op-amp circuit and a few resistors to invert the signal. I almost did this when I swapped the AW4 into my heep until I found a used TPS at the salvage yard.

Finally,

that's the codes on the TCM of the AW4 I have mounted:

On the metal box there is a red stick with:

8953 005 305 A 12V

AC 28 23 77 89 C

AISIN AW CO. LTD Japan

The plug has this code written on:

AC 9314838

I really hope this helps you to tell me which are the right TPS signals to give to the TCM

Thank you everybody

Paolo

Well! Because I was too dificult to find the double tps from Chrysler here in Italy, we have built a support on the throttle body to mount another TPS that works on the contrary way. Now it gives the right signals to the AW4 Tcu (89 Renix). About 5 volts at closed throttle and 0 volts ad open throttle.
Everything now is running better, but the aw4 upshifts only at more than 3000-4000 rpm (and 4800-5000 at full acceletor)
Do we need do regulate something to adjust the shift points?
We have the confort-sport button but no difference... maybe we need to recheck the wirings?
Thank you
Paolo (from Italy)

Back