• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

how to replace slave cylinder

Can you say Pull That Tranny?
yeah... just make sure that you have all those cables out of the way when you put the trans back in. or you'll get to pull it 3 x like someone i know...

You don't have to pull the tranny to replace the slavee cylinder. Mine comes out every 8-12 months and it gets replaced. drop the cross member and lower the tranny about 3" and you should have a straight shot at it.

cherokeedriver420 said:
You don't have to pull the tranny to replace the slavee cylinder. Mine comes out every 8-12 months and it gets replaced. drop the cross member and lower the tranny about 3" and you should have a straight shot at it.

the slave on the 88 is internal, yours must be exxternal. what year? how do you drop the tranny/transfercase 3" without tearing your engine/motor mounts apart?

adamst,

you need to drop or altleast seperate the tranny from the engine and slide the tranny back about 1 foot to gain access to the slave.

An '88 with a "straight 6" is going to have a Peugeot 5 speed. It will have an internal slave cylinder.
To pull the tranny rearward far enough to gain the required access to R&R the slave cylinder, you will have to disconnect every thing anyway; so you may as well lower it to the floor and make replacement of the cylinder easier.
Also, if I were you, I'd inspect the flywheel for crazing/discoloration--it may need either resurfacing, or replacement, and I'd replace the pilot bearing and clutch assembly.

ok now i done a lot of work and cars but ive never touched a clutch or much to do with transmissions at all is this hard to do or not i do have the haynes manual for the jeep too?

in all honesty its an easy one, just lots of extensions to reach top tranny bolts. everything else is just bolt and un bolt. I just swapped in an ax-15 form a ba10 , best thing i ever did.

I recommend you look up transmission threads on this forum to get some advice on the job. It's definiitely doable for anyone who can turn a wrench. I did mine in a driveway with stands and two floor jacks. Just watch out for the two reverse head torx bolts at 11:00 and 1:00 on the bellhousing. Also consider replacing both master and slave cylinders together. Slave cylinder is going for around $100, $50-75 for a master. Good luck.

Back