• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Airflow Snorkel Water drainage?

AZCA jeeper

NAXJA Forum User
From what I've read the Airflow snorkel seems to be the better of the two (compared to the Safari Snorkel) but I couldn't find any information on whether it drains water out. With the Safari snorkel, the head has a system which drains rainwater that enters the snorkel. The Airflow snorkel doesn't seem to have this feature. I wouldn't think they would overlook something so important (afterall the whole point of a snorkel is to prevent water intrusion).

Anyone running an Airflow have an answer or problem with this?

I was on the market for a snorkel a few years ago but the prices are way too high so I went with a cowl snorkel.Cost about $35,works just as good imo.

morerpmfred said:
Stock air box has two small drain holes.

if you are running a snorkel then i would assume you want to plug these holes, as it would compromise the whole idea of the snorkle taking air higher up. i'm pretty sure the "anti-rain" feature is in the head of the snorkel, since the rain has to run down the sides it somehow diverts it.

dgrigorenko said:
if you are running a snorkel then i would assume you want to plug these holes, as it would compromise the whole idea of the snorkle taking air higher up. i'm pretty sure the "anti-rain" feature is in the head of the snorkel, since the rain has to run down the sides it somehow diverts it.

http://www.go.jeep-xj.info/HowtoSnorkelInstall2.htm
"Just a note here. I am not a fan of sealing up the very small drain hoses at the bottom of the airbox as any water that may have got past the snorkel head drains needs to escape some where. If the water is under the hood this high than it would have stalled due to the electrics being underwater as well. It also takes a long time for the water to come through those holes and fill the airbox anyway. Just try floating the airbox in water to see what I mean!"

What's funny is that I had read that before and missed the part about the head drains!!!:dunce: :doh:

Seal those drains..why would you put a snorkel on just to have holes in your airbox?Mine is fully sealed.....so are my electronics.All my vents are extended and go into my sealed airbox.I also have dual electric fans wired to a toggle and my carpet is gone in favor of herculiner.

I am actually in the process of installing a plexiglass window in the side of my airbox so I can pop the hood and see at a glance if my airbox is compromised.Another idea I have is to put a small 12v bilge pump in the bottom of the air box that would be wired into a toggle switch and turned on when I'm in ass deep!!!

Another idea is to use one of those one way drain valves in the bottom of the air box sold at marine supply houses...pretty cool design.They are called "scuppers"
http://www.wholesalemarine.com/pc/T...n+Plugs/Duckbill+Overboard+Drain+Scupper.html
They are normally open but when water gets to them(or the bottom of your airbox) the ball inside rises up to the seat and seals tight.

The snorkel would be useless unless everything else is put in order.Imagine fording deep water and your motor stalls because the electronics weren't sealed leaving you dead in the water(literally)allowing water to enter your exhaust because your motor isn't running.Yes its possible to get hydrolocked that way...

Snorkels are meant to give you substantial fording capability but you have to make sure you waterproof everything else.If not snorkels can be more trouble than not because you are going more places that you normally wouldn't with a stock intake.
My 2cents......

Last edited:
I have an airflow, and I have no problems.

The airflow has the same feature the ARB has, with the slits in the top snorkel cap that expel rain water as it enters.

Begster said:
I have an airflow, and I have no problems.

The airflow has the same feature the ARB has, with the slits in the top snorkel cap that expel rain water as it enters.

X2.

Slit in cap can be seen in this pic.
40L030.jpg

Back