• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Annoying beep sound

XJ Stryker

WHO DAT!
Well this for a 87.

History

Before no Beep

Replaced ignition switch. The other one was melted and fused at one plug. I cut out old harness and all. There is only a few colored wires so I know i rewired it correctly. But once i installed the new switch there is a low yet annoying beep sound coming from the right of the gas pedal. I have found the source but have no clue what it is. If I apply any pressure to the brakes it stops. When i release it beeps. Is this an alarm or something the PO mis wired that wasn't working till i fixed the ignition switch? My brakes seem to work fine.

I can get a picture of the annoyance if yall would like. I am hesitant on unplugging it because it does seem to worked into the brakes somehow.

Never had that noise on mine and I am on the second ignition switch since I have owned to Jeep. Ist was replaced by the dealer. It had gotten hot and was smelling like burnt wires so my wife took it to the dealer(I was out of town) They replaced it and the headlight switch. Never heard any buzzing from the hump area though. Good luck!

Update

Looks like there is a white switch connected to the top of the brake pedal when the engine is off and not running it beeps when the brake pedal is pressed. Even a 1/8 of an inch. When the engine is running and driving around town it beeps until you press the brake pedal just a hair. I have pictures but am about to run to sears for a minute and get some tools. I will post up when i get back

it goes like this Beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep

Right now I am fighting with getting the damn oil pan off my wifes Jeep talk about a PIA

XJ Stryker said:
Update

Looks like there is a white switch connected to the top of the brake pedal when the engine is off and not running it beeps when the brake pedal is pressed. Even a 1/8 of an inch. When the engine is running and driving around town it beeps until you press the brake pedal just a hair. I have pictures but am about to run to sears for a minute and get some tools. I will post up when i get back
That sounds like the switch for the trans computer and cruise control. It has an electrical contact for telling the trans computer to unlock the t/c, and a vacumn release that lets the vacumn off the cruise system when you hit the brake. Maybe it's developed a leak or the vacumn line to it is damaged?

That switch looks like this:
cruise_switch.jpg

lawsoncl said:
That sounds like the switch for the trans computer and cruise control. It has an electrical contact for telling the trans computer to unlock the t/c, and a vacumn release that lets the vacumn off the cruise system when you hit the brake. Maybe it's developed a leak or the vacumn line to it is damaged?

That switch looks like this:
cruise_switch.jpg

Yeah that does look like it... And isnt the cruise control air cannister right above the valve cover... I just replaced the VC gasket i may not have hooked those air lines in good I will have to check that out tomorrow. Thanks for the input. Gives me somewhere to look

Back