• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Toe Way off..

Magus2727

NAXJA Forum User
So I had problems with the known "Death Wobbel" after doing my lift (still on fairly stock tire size 235/75/15) Went to a tire place today and found out that my Toe was out by -1.5* total and about -.75* on each tire. I am hopping that fixed it. I also got the tires rotated and balanced.

The stering wheel was off to the left when strait now its off to the right.. arg can teh XJ stering wheel ever be strait?

So if the alignment does not fix it are there any other ideas or things I should look at?

I thought this was mostly a problem with larger tires?

How much lift?????? Toe......in or out??? What was your Caster and Camber? You may need Trackbar adjustments! Your caster is probably off.

Last edited:
The alignment should have centered the steering wheel for you. If they didn't then they should fix it. It's easy enough to adjust yourself if you don't want to hassle with them. Actually, the toe-in is pretty easy to do yourself as well.

the caster and camber were all well with in the specs that they had on there little sheet. i think they were around .7* or .11* I dont have the alignment sheet infront of me at work.

The Toe was negative 1.65* or negative 1.67* total and the total negative alowance that they said was with in spec was negative .11* now its a total of .02* so they are almost dead strait. They have a 30 day waranty, so later on next week I am going to take it back and have them fix the stering wheel along with re check the alignment.

I have 3.5" of lift up front with about 3 inches in the rear. I am sitting at 21" up front and 20.5" in the back.

I will have to look at the sheet when I get home. all I am 100% sure of right now is that they were all well centered in the range that they gave on the sheet as acceptible specification.

So looking at my alignment sheet and I now have the following values after the alignment:
For the Left:
Camber : -.03*
Caster : 5.6*
Toe : -0.01*
SAI : 11.0*

For the Right:
Camber : -.02*
Caster : 5.3*
Toe : -0.01*
SAI : 10.9*

Front:
Cross Camber : -.01*
Cross Caster : 0.3*
Total Toe : -0.02*

You probably need more caster angle. I needed almost 8 degrees to cure the wobble with only a 2" lift. For some reason, some vehicles need more than others as my other XJ is fine at 5.5 degrees.

Check all your control arm bushings and bolts. Make sure your track bar is tight at both ends. You toe should be around .06 (1/16") to .125 (1/8"). You can straighten your steering wheel pretty easily. Your camber is not adjustable. Your caster is fine. Check your hubs (lift tire off ground and check for movement/wobble). If something is wrong with your hubs then the shop that did the alignment is worthless (kinda sounds like they are anyways). Check u joints in axles and in front drive shaft.

Back