• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Too much body movement offroad without swaybar?

jimmydaux

NAXJA Forum User
Some of you may remember me saying that I had put on a used RE SF 4.5. When I disconnect the sway bar, it seems like the body rolls a little too much sometimes. It seems mostly like the front is too soft in comparison to the rear. When I get sideways on a trail it seems like the downside front tire stuffs pretty good and the upside tire extends down a ways. Its pretty un nerving. Have any of you had issues with feeling unstable without a swaybar off road?

I get about twice the wheel travel with it disconnected so I understand the benefit, I just wish there was a way to make it a little more stable in those off camber situations. Any thoughts?

Are to still running the stock bumpstops in the front? Do you have a roof rack with alot of wieght? Maybe try more bumpstopping to limit the travel or a different spring/shock rate?

Generally the front is softer so the body will follow the rear axle. Arched springs flex a lot less so your 4.5 lift is not helping things in the rear. Do a little searching on tuning your rear leaf packs. That will help a lot.

jonnyghost said:
Generally the front is softer so the body will follow the rear axle. Arched springs flex a lot less so your 4.5 lift is not helping things in the rear. Do a little searching on tuning your rear leaf packs. That will help a lot.

What leaf set up do you currently have? The bastard packs made fron Durango packs seem a lot stiffer and may help if your budget is tight. If you want a stiff spring rate in the rear and have a few more $ you can spend the full leaf packs from RE are pretty stiff too. Make sure that you tell them that you have a 4.5" lift too.

jimmydaux said:
Some of you may remember me saying that I had put on a used RE SF 4.5. When I disconnect the sway bar, it seems like the body rolls a little too much sometimes. It seems mostly like the front is too soft in comparison to the rear. When I get sideways on a trail it seems like the downside front tire stuffs pretty good and the upside tire extends down a ways. Its pretty un nerving. Have any of you had issues with feeling unstable without a swaybar off road?

I get about twice the wheel travel with it disconnected so I understand the benefit, I just wish there was a way to make it a little more stable in those off camber situations. Any thoughts?
This why many people run the Curie antirock swaybar system.
Myself and many that I wheel with often don't even disconnect the swaybar.
It feels much more stable, and with a front locker it's not a big deal if you lift a tire occasionally.
Off camber sucks, body roll makes it worse.
The Rubi electronic disconnect swaybar system is the sht.

Last thing I want is a stiffer rear end, its the softer front that is my issue. I have the RE 3.5 full spring pack with the lift shackle in the rear. I have bumpstopped the front so thats not a problem either.

Sierra, I do a lot of my wheelin without disconnecting the sway bar just for that reason. I like the idea of the anti rock bar wasnt aware that they made one for the cherokee. When those are set up right, do the give a good balance between added stability and axle articulation?

Have you removed the rear sway bar?

I cant imagine having to put a antirock on a Jeep with only 3.5'' of lift. Do you have a lot of weight up high, roof rack, spare tire on the roof?

You might also want to do limiting straps, either a center, or side ones. Would limit the droop you have and increase the backs movement.

I am not sure the lift height matters, Tons of people run them on jeeps that have 3-4 inches of lift and they work killer. Just comes down to the money. I love wheeling with the feel the Currie give on the trail.

Yeah rear sway bar is off. I dont have anything up front. It may be the fact that I dont know where my breaking point is in off camber stuff and it just makes my butt pucker.

I hear they are building a 4x4 park out at Miller Motor Speedway that has a off camber ramp that has a rolling winch that will follow you until you reach your rollover point so you realilze how much you can tilt before you have real problems. I think I just get nervous. Maybe I should go do that so I know what Im getting myself into in the off camber stuff.

I stiill havent found an anti rock bar for the cherokee, anyone have a link?

The T&J setup IS a currie anti-rock for a TJ that they made an xj tube for so you can use it on it.

i disco'd my front swaybar forthe first time this past weekend. with the new lift and rockyroad CA drops the bar was hitting mysprings. anyway i almost got killed from the sway on a turn. iordered the rocky-road over the knuckle steering that has an optional swaybar relocation mount. i don't know anyone that has this mod,so i will keep everyone informed on it.

cipey

Back